• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

What is normal?

Dieselsmum

Warren Scout
Hi there.

Diesel had the wire removed from his jaw today and was also neutered at the same time. The vet said he came round from the anaesthetic really well and had some mashed up pellets. He's had pain relief and fluids at the vets.

He's been home now for about 30 minutes and he hasn't moved from his litter box. Is it normal for him to be like this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What time did he come round from the anesthetic?

He is probably still drugged and drowsey from the anesthetic.

I take it he has had a gut stimulant and you have some pain relief to give at home for a few days? Did the vet mention what sort of level of pain the jaw will cause now?

As an aside, make sure you don't put hay anywhere he will sit on, as it can get in the wound. Try to keep it in racks and bowls where you can.

I would think he just wants to be quiet in familiar surroundings and he should be feeling a little better tomorrow.

Thank you! He came round about 1.00ish and was given gut stimulant, pain relief and antibiotics. I have baytril for home use but they said he shouldn't need any further pain relief. They said his jaw should cause no problems at all now.

I hope that's right, the vets have been outstanding so far and would hate to think otherwise

Neutered bucks aren't usually given pain relief for the few days after, as on it's own it usually doesn't keep them out of action for too long, but because of his jaw and the fact that he won't have been eating the proper amount of hay etc recently, I'd personally want some to prevent further gut slowdown, especially as he has to get used to his jaw working again which I imagine would be uncomfortable at first. I'm a big fan of pain relief to help a rabbit eat after painful procedures and my personal opinion is that they are well worth any small risk that they carry, particularly as rabbits metabolise drugs so quickly.

But then, I'm not a vet, and I am somewhat biased by the fact that my Barney does not do that well with GA and pain.

I would make sure his favourite foods are around him and that he can access food and water very easily. Make sure he has access to soft food too, as that is what he ate at the vet's.

Last edited:
He was given meloxicam!? I just read the vet notes and it says call them tomorrow if concerned and top up pain relief can be given. I've made sure he has all his favourite food and mashed up pellets.

I can hear him moving about now and playing with his hay and everytime I go near him he lays down with his back to me.

Back