• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sight loss/Poor dental recovery U/D Post 8

RedFraggle

Warren Veteran
Hi Folks
Scarlet had yet another dental two weeks ago and hasn't recovered fully i.e. she's not back to her usual self.

We think her sight has now gone totally. She did have some vision in one eye but that doesn't respond to the vet shining a light in it at all now (i.e. there's no pupil response) but she does have some response to light because when you go in the shed with a torch she'll respond to the torch (rather than responding to the door having been opened). The vet can't see her retinas and is suspecting retinal detachment.

She is eating but not with her usual enthusiasm. She doesn't get up on a morning and wait for breakfast in the run and shows no interest in food when you put it in and she has always gone mad for nuggets and mad for recovery food and mad for greens. She does however eat (Noco doesn't like recovery food so we know that's her) and we've seen her eating nuggets and greens.

I'm not sure whether it's just a response to the further sight loss or whether there is something else going on. She had lost some weight (around 300g off her usual 1.9 kg) before Xmas but by supplementing her with recovery food and extra nuggets she gained it back very quickly (up to 2.1 kg). Her weight is being monitored by the vet and she was 2 kg on Monday . There's nothing obviously wrong in her mouth and metacam doesn't buck her up any so I don't think she's in any pain.

We don't know how old she is, she's been with us 3 years but was an adult rescue. She has had a lot of GAs, around 15 that we know of (dental issues plus spay).

Other than not wanting to get up and come out of a morning she's bright and alert when she does choose to come out she's just generally less active. Noco is being the perfect husbun of course.

Any thoughts as to whether she's just adjusting to a decrease in vision or whether something else is going on?

Last edited:
Her relative inactivity may be due to her deteriorating eyesight. Her weightloss could have been dental related as opposed to anything else going on. Does the Vet run bloods before the GAs. This would be appropriate for a Rabbit needing frequent GAs.

I'm sorry Scarlet has lost her sight and not recovering as quickly as usual from her dental. Sending vibes. Well done to Orinoco for being the perfect husbun.

Her relative inactivity may be due to her deteriorating eyesight. Her weightloss could have been dental related as opposed to anything else going on. Does the Vet run bloods before the GAs. This would be appropriate for a Rabbit needing frequent GAs.

Thanks JJ. No they don't, she's been managing about 7 months between them of late so has only had 3 in the last 18 months (an improvement for her!). He did mention trying to get bloods if her weight drops again but doesn't want to knock her out to get them which I agree with but she's not the most compliant bunny!
The other thing that was odd was that post dental when they were indoors in the dog crate she didn't thump once. She's usually thumping away all the time bacause she hates being indoors. It's almost as if she's had a personailty transplant. We did consider stroke but she's not been off balance in anyway whatsoever.

Thanks Susie, he's doing what a good bunny should. Unusual in a BARC bunny!

Is she responding to sound? Just wondering about the lack of thumping.

Poor girl :( Maybe her sight deteriorating at the same time as needing a dental has just confused her a bit. Hope it's nothing more sinister xx

As all these changes have come on post the last GA I wonder if she has sustained a bit of oxygen deprivation during the GA which has caused a degree of brain damage :? Does your Vet monitor her blood gases (using a pulse oximeter) whilst she is unconscious ? I think I would want some bloods run before putting her under again :? And a good check of her heart function too :?

She does respond to sound. I did wonder about brain damage due to a drop in oxygen. I don't think they monitor. If she needs anything else done I think we'll go back to FHB. She was full of it last night out in the run, she hasn't got up again this morning though.

For whatever reason, I do not care, Scarlet is much much better today *does happy dance*
She has been out and about as she usually would and her an Ori have been playing chase in the run :D

Our little lady is still not completely right but is heading in the right direction. She's still got very little motivation for food but had only lost 20g in a week at least and finally today I saw her eat some hay and she ran straight out for her tea.
We're suspecting maybe she has either kidney or liver issues and the GA really knocked her. If she continues to lose weight she'll be off to FHB for a consult and the next time she needs anything doing she's going to FHB so we can get bloods and xrays.
She's been such a worry, she's always bounced right back after GAs but she's really struggled this type. She's such a little trooper.

Back