• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Superglue on wound question - need to know before vets app. at 4pm today :-) please

chelle

Warren Veteran
HI all,
Not been on here a while - hope every ones ok...

Ive started rebonding my trio - wahooooooooooo....its been happening since thursday last week - they seem to geton most of the time but the girls are still abit edgy...some grooming going on between them which has been great and I was really hopeful for them all this morning...then it went off again...I had gone into the kitchen to get breakfast and they stopped when I came back in and I thought well let me do a check on them....after seeing another wound on Indiana that I had not noticed...( i knew there was one already) and its abit sore this one but scabbed over already - I applied some sudocreme. Then checked Arrabella - again found another wound that was scabbed over. But I found an open wound...its about 1 -1.5cm open. Ive booked a vets appointment this afternoon with a new vets....secretary said either sutures - where they would put the rabit under (obviously she hasnt seen the wound and is being thorough in suggesting this but still..this wont be necessary) then glue or staples. Im interested in the glue option as staples tend to be pulled out by them from previous experience.

My OH has searched and said we could use super-glue to glue it ourselves..and explained how. Im abit concerned as I dont know about the different types - but he searched online and said the glues are not different..and it would save the vet bill. Any advice in regards to supergluing an open wound closed..its not bleeding or weeping..just the skin is open.

The appointment is at 4 ish this afternoon. cheers;)

Last edited:
Please please do NOT glue it yourself !! Fight/bight wounds are a hot house for bacteria and you could end up with abscessated wounds and a Rabbit with septicaemia

I would get the injured Rabbits to the Vet and what treatment given will depend on the full extent of damage, if necrotic tissue needs removing, if the wound(s) are showing signs of infection etc....etc

You just couldn't guarantee everything would be sterile enough even if it was possible. You easily introduce bacteria.

absolutely 100% take bunny to the vet. often with bite wounds vets decide to leave them open to heal as it stops bacteria getting trapped inside. even if they do decide to glue it, as others have said, it will be sterile at the vet and they are much more practiced at this sort of thing so it will be less stressful for bun. they may also prescribe antibiotics and/or pain relief depending on the extent of damage.

hope she is ok and sorted soon :wave:

thanks guys ...what I thought really.
Im leaving in a minute - she is fie munching hay but still upsetting they hurt each other.

My worst nightmare :( hence why I do no bonding.
I hope your bun is okay now. Please update us when you can. :) xxxx

As stated by others do not glue the wound! A wound from fighting would not be stitched without extensive debridement as as Jack's Jane has stated there will be a proliferation of bacteria within the wound and closely the wound would enclose the infection.

:shock: if you have ever had a wound and superglued it you would know that it stings like hell for about 10 mins why would you consider doing this to your rabbit :?

hi all,

Just to update the vets cleaned it out and glued it but this morning I see she had nibbled away and pulled away a tag of skin we hoped we wouldnt have to snip off...so will be going back shortly hopefully they have a space for me asap.

Just to clarify...I did not want to use superglue...I didnt think it was a good idea...and thought it would sting, possible infect etc...and was concerned about any side effects etc...which is why I asked on here as OH was sure it was fine....so wanted other opinions for OH to consider. The fact its been used in the war for wounds and there are countless articles online of it being used on animals is why I needed experienced opinions...it was not something which I personally thought was ok. Its been very stressful for me dealing with this situation.

don't forget back in the days of the war (a very long time ago now) they had nothing much to help soldiers, so I wouldn't really make a comparison, as medication and treatment has come along way since then in humans, and that includes pets
and as you know rabbits are such delicate creatures, im glad you took jack-janes advice and went to the vets

Last edited:
Surgical glue is sterilised for use on wounds and products have undergone the UK licensing system to allow them to be used in surgical procedures. Superglue is not sterile.

Exactly what I thought - thankyou! Ive also spoken to the vets and they weren to sure what the difference was between the superglue & surgical glue except that it was cleaned and had been tested on wounds...not much to go on but hey. The fact that medicine has come on a long way since the war is correct - but it seems alot of online websites even suggest it for use on animals still and also as a part of your first aid kit. Makes you wonder .

Either way - bunny had wound glued but she nibbled it apart...took her back and another vet on duty was not happy to see glue under the skin flap on the actual wound bit...with fur stuck to it.it looked grey from glue & fur, We tried to pull it off and clean it up and she suggested we put her under and operate and put in dissovable sutures. Not happy to do this to her and discussed at length the other option of healing it naturally and with other rabbits etc and possibly her nibbling at it again, the risks involved.

Discussed with partner. This morning its knitted itself together - little hole at the top and a slightly smaller weepy hole at the bottom. Weeping is clear and there is not much inflammation - more pink like its got blood around it. Called in vet and we will see how it goes - if there is any sign of infection - i will take her back for opening it up and sorting it out.

Im going to get hibiscrub for any future wounds - good to have on hand and the vets secretary said I can get some form her tomorrow if needed. But we going to try & let i dry for now. Holding thumbs for my baby bunny girl...not nice to see them with wounds .

Thanks again all for your opinions..and advice - I felt like my gut instinct was correct. ;)

Back