• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Aggression when being fed

Coggit

Young Bun
Hi everyone.

Harry is an 11 month old, castrated rabbit. Recently, he's become aggressive when we are feeding him his pellets. He'll growl at us once he hears the sound of the pellets hit the food bowl, before running out and pouncing on our ankles. This behaviour has became increasingly worse. We did manage to stop it, up until yesterday. We stopped it by taking the food bowl out of the room and filling it up so that he can't hear it, however yesterday the growling began again and tonight for the first time ever he bit me - not once, but twice! Once on my foot, and the other time on my shin.

Behaviour wise, he does think he owns the house :lol: (he's a house rabbit!). He likes his space, and he's not really a rabbit who likes having a fuss made - he enjoys us rubbing his head, ears and down his nose, but he's not really a cuddly bunny. We've come to understand his signals for when he wants to be alone. We'd love to get him a lady friend, but in all honesty I'm slightly worried about how he is going to react - he barely tolerates us being in our own house, nevermind another bunny :lol:

Anyone got any suggestions? Don't think I want another rabbit bite... they bloody hurt :shock:

Thanks

Last edited:
I wouldn't put the pellets in a bowl, I would scatter feed him which takes the focus away from you as he is too busy trying to find the food. I have a couple of buns I have to feed this way and they adore other rabbits just not humans and I agree rabbit bites do bloody hurt!!!

I should of mentioned in my original post, we did try scatter feeding but found it actually made it worse - presumably because he had no where to "protect"? (although who he is protect it from is beyond me xD!).

Sounds like he is being very possessive/jealous about his food.

Personally - and this won't really help - I'd just chuck it in and leg it :lol:

Our Joey bun started doing this when we he first moved in although a little less aggressive and more forceful (ie grabbing the bowl from my hand and throwing it...) now we just try and distract him with some veg and get the bowl in that way :)

Back