• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Coco very sick

Hi all. My little coco isn't at all well. She's been to the vet's as she's got a massive cut on her shoulder which has got very infected she's checked every day so I don't know how I missed it.
It's grown to the size of a half a ping pong ball but the vet got the puss out and cleaned it. She's had a antibiotic injection and she has some meds to take daily.
However she's been separated from Poppy and in her own run but she's just sat in a corner all hunched up breathing really quickly and not even trying to avoid being picked up. She's not eating or drinking not even her favourite thing carrots she infect turned her back on it. She tried to thump before but just kinda fell over and stayed on her side for a bit.
She's got a blanket which she's snuggled up into and her teddy but she's not not herself. I don't know how longs she's not been eating or drinking for as she usually does it at breakfast time when the kids have there's but I have been going to work early.
I have a horrible feeling I'm gonna wake up for a former bunny tomorrow. Any advice greatly taken

Does the vet know what her current condition is? If not, it would be good to give them a call right away. Falling over and not getting back up, sounds like she may be very sick and needs emergency treatment.

Has she been given gut stimulants and pain relief? I think that both of these are vital and need to be used along with syringe feeding if she will not eat.

I would certainly be phoning the vet again for advice and I would think she is likely to be need to go back to the vets tonight. It sounds like she is very very poorly :(

I think she needs to go back to the vet ASAP. It sounds like she is very, very poorly. Did the vet give her pain meds to bring home?

She's up and about now just limping a bit she's still not eating or drinking though she's not pooping either the vet only gave her an anti biotic shot.
I have mushed up some of her pellets with water should I just try and syringe feed her. She's not even trying to bite me when I touch her belly which is very unlike her. The vet's didn't give her a gut stimulate even though I told them she hasn't been eating.
I have left her with her blanket and treads

The cut on her side is weeping and bleeding still. She's lieing on her good side but when she tries to get up you can see it hurts her. She's kinda growling and her head is vibrating she sometimes does this but much gentler when you get her on a good day and all snuggly etc but this is louder and she looks mightily annoyed!
Trying to find a 24 hour vet now

She needs pain relief. She won't eat if she is in pain. My bun had an injured foot and it got infected before I spotted it. She was acting in a lot of pain and refusing to move around, she also slowed her eating down. She picked up after having some pain relief.

Your vet does not sound very good. I can't believe she was not given pain relief! :(

She's let me look at it and I
The things massive how I missed it I don't know. I cleaned it using some lint free tissue and filtered water she's on my knee now she still breathing stupidly fast . She also licked me after I cleaned her up a bit. That's even stranger .

She's let me look at it and I
The things massive how I missed it I don't know. I cleaned it using some lint free tissue and filtered water she's on my knee now she still breathing stupidly fast . She also licked me after I cleaned her up a bit. That's even stranger .

She sounds as though she is in a great deal of pain. Contact an out of hours vet and organise her to be seen and given pain relief. She will need gut stimulants also.

You can post up in rabbit chat for a rabbit savvy vet near to you. If you say it is urgent, you will most likely get replied right away. x

Whereabouts are you?

I agree you need a vet. I hadn't realised the vet hadn't given you pain relief! :evil:

The teeth chattering noise she is making is tooth grinding, the gentler version you know about is tooth purring which is a happy noise. The grinding however is pretty much the only way rabbits show pain.

She really needs to see a vet and I wouldn't take her back to the one she has already seen!

Back