• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Yet more wildlife to be killed :(

Plane collides with deer, so let's kill all the hares and rabbits? Makes no sense at all :(

Totally agree, total nonsense!
I can see that having a deer run across the runway may be dangerous for light aircraft, but a rabbit or a hare! For goodness sake :roll:

Hares can pose a problem for aircraft. In fact anything on a runway as small as a screwdriver can be devastating.

Actually affect the bigger jets more as they can be ingested into the turbines during take off (google Thomson 757 bird strike if you want to see what that looks like)

I suspect the link above is pretty poor journalism. All airports will routinely patrol with firearms. While the preference is to scare wildlife into remaining clear of active areas or to discourage using a range of techniques occasionally if number get to high then it is necessary to reduce the local population. If a large hare (or fox or badger or deer etc) cannot be driven off then it will get shot.

Hares can pose a problem for aircraft. In fact anything on a runway as small as a screwdriver can be devastating.

Actually affect the bigger jets more as they can be ingested into the turbines during take off (google Thomson 757 bird strike if you want to see what that looks like)

I suspect the link above is pretty poor journalism. All airports will routinely patrol with firearms. While the preference is to scare wildlife into remaining clear of active areas or to discourage using a range of techniques occasionally if number get to high then it is necessary to reduce the local population. If a large hare (or fox or badger or deer etc) cannot be driven off then it will get shot.

:thumb: This!

Doesn't really sound as though they are trying very hard to me but it could be poor journalism.

My apologies for starting the thread.

Back