• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Herbal support for 'snuffles'?

louise and Gus

Wise Old Thumper
Has anyone heard of herbal remedies which may help a bun with snuffles? Just wondering if there was something I could give Albert which may help him? (along side conventional treatment)

On the advice of a few people on here I'm now giving Mimi (infact all of them, but she's the one with snuffles) dried Echinacea (Coneflower.) It genuinely seems to be helping so far :thumb:

Echinacea is the very best for buns and me when the immune system is low.

I often get it in capsules from Holland and Barrett, with Goldenseal (which enhances the strength of the immune boosting) and sprinkle it on their night time food

Good luck :)

Oh wow but yes.
I hope you're doing everything to get the secretions runny & clear out the sinuses.
I used bisolvon 1 pinch daily (med) in a basil leaf.
Also home made saline nebuliser x2 daily.
Metacam was more important than I thought to reduce internal swelling.

Echinacea 1 small pinch daily in the basil leaf.
He preferred plantain forage - Has Abx in it.
Basil herb for a treat - said to be mucolytic.

Reducing dust is important Lea Anne put hay in a cardboard tube so Vin had to scrabble it out thinly rather than sticking his nose in a heap.
Minimising stress is also very important.
I pegged away at keeping everything runny for about 21/2 years. benjie's been off all treatment for over 6 months now & even completely free from eye discharge.
Hope this helps.
Please let us know how you get on.

I often get it in capsules from Holland and Barrett, with Goldenseal (which enhances the strength of the immune boosting) and sprinkle it on their night time food

I've used goldenseal too but struggle to get it now. The staff in holland and barrett said it was difficult to get now becuase of the new liciencing laws?

We also upped Bluebells vit c as that can help the immune system.

Also corriander as it can be a natural expectorant and can also help allergies (aswell as an active infection tree pollens also seemed to make him worse).

Last edited:
Back