• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Overwintering hedgehogs

Aww hedgepigs :love:

We've had a hedgehog in our garden last year - I recognised the poo on my front door step and then on my veg patch :lol:

Awwww :love: I have never seen a hedgehog wandering around, although James has and had to rescue one strolling across the road. We used to get alot in NZ and apparantly as a very young child, wrap them in a childs blanket and carry them around like a baby.

Guessing you fed them cat food.

To begin with they were fed on wet chicken cat food but later they had a mixture of wet and dry cat food (again, just chicken). They were all, obviously, too low in weight to be allowed to hibernate but some were really so tiny. Used to have to weigh weekly and keep a chart of their weight-gain!

The rescue I used to help has moved from my village and now has a large purpose-built hospital, but unfortunately it is quite a distance from here.

To begin with they were fed on wet chicken cat food but later they had a mixture of wet and dry cat food (again, just chicken). They were all, obviously, too low in weight to be allowed to hibernate but some were really so tiny. Used to have to weigh weekly and keep a chart of their weight-gain!

The rescue I used to help has moved from my village and now has a large purpose-built hospital, but unfortunately it is quite a distance from here.

Oh that's really interesting, thanks for sharing :thumb: I suppose it's good the rescue has done well enough to get nice big premises, but not so good as it's further away...

Back