• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Dental spur. Possible cause of GI Stasis?

janhm69

Young Bun
Hi there, just wondering if anyone out there has had a bun go into stasis because of a possible dental spur? My vet has said my bun, once tummy better should have a dental under sedation. Bit worried about sedation and will it make her mouth even more sore having the spur removed? I just read something awful about a bun having a dental, are these things usually without problems? Any advice much appreciated.

Yes..... stasis can be a secondry problem to tooth issues / spurs
I have bunnies here who have regular dentals... one as often as every four to five weeks, so try not to worry
Im sure your bun will be much better once teeth are sorted out... If spurs are left they can really make the mouth sore, by ulcerating the tongue etc, and they can actually stop eating altogether :( Every bunny is different after a dental, usually they are so much more comfortable they bounce straight back once the g.a has worn off... If theyre sore afterwards it is usually because damage has been done.... even so... a day or so and theyre usually back to normal
Hope all goes well x

Last edited:
Thank you for the reply, makes me feel a bit better about taking her on Friday. She has had stasis a couple of times now which has been really horrible. She is usually such a bouncy character, quite 'in your face ' actually but just suddenly went into stasis yesterday, was obvious something wrong so I took her to an emergency vet who said that it looked as though she might have a spur and gave her a painkiller. She was eating soft herbs later in the evening and has now, since seeing our own vet today, eaten a few nuggets plus the herbs and dried plantain.

I am just hoping that the teeth are the root cause I guess as I can't think of any other explanation. My buns have a good diet I think, oxbow hay, a few nuggets and herbs. Some dried plantain too. No 'rabbit mix' type foods or sugary stuff. I am a bit worried that after the dental and sedation she might still have a problem I guess.

Yes my cousins bunny a minilop went into stasis as dental spurs are very painful, and the poor wee buns stop eating when theyre in pain. His tongue was impaled on the spur as well as it had been there a long time.

he had came to me while my cousin was on holiday, and straight away i knew he wasn't right, so sure enough vets next day confirmed and i had painkillers and also recovery food to give him.
few days later he had his dental and was eating when he got home, and that was with a stitch in his wee tongue!

just shows how sore it must have been.
he now gets dentals every 3-4 months, and has daily metacam for the pain his tooth roots cause him.

your diet sounds good, so it could just be genetic issues that's made the spur happen, if the jaw is misaligned then the teeth don't grind on each other and they just keep growing.
might be worth asking for x-rays to get done at the time of his dental that's what we did with Dexter. Was very helpful to see and to be able to show my cousin when she was back home.

good luck on Friday, in sure youre bun will be fine, but its always nerve wracking getting a ga done. Xxxxx

Thank you for your reply. Feel much more encouraged to hear about your Dexter and the dentals. I hope the teeth can be sorted (if it is teeth and at least they can get a proper look I guess). I think I will also see if they can do x rays as you suggest to have a look and see if any root things going on too. I don't mind having to get the teeth done if needed at all on a regular basis if it means that she is comfortable and no more stasis! x

Yep even tiny ones.

Three vets were sure Caspers teeth were fine. After syringe feeding for almost a week I requested a better look at his teeth under GA, which was extreamly risky at this point but nothing else had worked. They found a teeny tiny spur. As soon as he woke up he was nomming like no tomorrow.

Wow! Tonight my bun seems back to her bouncy self, charging around and rolling over being soppy (the stasis only happened sunday) but I guess I should stick with my appointment for dental Friday, as she had an episode of stasis about six months ago, unexplained and again just this last weekend. She has recovered pretty rapidly but I think its largely due to the pain relief both vets gave her so there must be something inflamed or painful somewhere on and off maybe... emergency vet said she thought a spur so I think maybe best thing then to get it properly looked at if most buns are fine afterwards. My fear was/is that it would make things worse. My vet said that it would be under sedation and not GA though... is that usual?

I'd want a bunny under GA for a dental, some vets do do consious dentals but its not something I'd be happy with.

Dental done, very groggy, sluggish bun....

Well my bun had the dental and the vet did find some dental spurs, so quite possibly this was the cause of the stasis last weekend. Only thing is she is not eating again (ok, she did only come home at 4pm) but otherwise looks like the fibreplex routine again....poor little girl. She has had a painkiller and gut motility meds so I hope that she will be back to normal as speedily as when she went into stasis last Sunday.

Have you got pain killers to give her at home?
glad she came through the dental a ok.
and wishing a speedy recovery xxxx

Well she had an injection of Metacam earlier at the vets, in this bun, wouldn't surprise me if I have to go back tomorrow for more. I have some liquid Metacam which she was given some time ago but thinking if she is still off colour tomorrow, will take her back to the vet and ask for another injection. She usually needs a bit more than expected. After her spay her sister was fine but I had to take her back to the vet the next day as I was worried about her and they gave her more Metacam. She has eaten a small amount since earlier not alot, but bits and pieces and has drunk alot of water. Presumably as her mouth must've been open for the dental...very thirsty.

Well she had an injection of Metacam earlier at the vets, in this bun, wouldn't surprise me if I have to go back tomorrow for more. I have some liquid Metacam which she was given some time ago but thinking if she is still off colour tomorrow, will take her back to the vet and ask for another injection. She usually needs a bit more than expected. After her spay her sister was fine but I had to take her back to the vet the next day as I was worried about her and they gave her more Metacam. She has eaten a small amount since earlier not alot, but bits and pieces and has drunk alot of water. Presumably as her mouth must've been open for the dental...very thirsty.

Drinking water is good.... it will help flush the ga out of her system
Eating bits and pieces is also good.... sometimes takes a day after a dental
I usually give my slow to recover ones, metacam, metaclop and zantac just to help them along at first.... Im sure she will be much better tomorrow

Many thanks for your reply, I was encouraged by it late last night when my bun was looking so poorly again after the dental. I checked on her during the night and managed to get her to eat some herbs at about 1.30am. This morning she is back on the nuggets! She seems pretty bright too. I am guessing teeth are something I'm going to have to watch from now on with her.... Thank you again for your kind reply yesterday.

Glad shes feeling better today :)
hopefully she doesn't need to have dentals too close together, but its something to remember if she seems just not quite right.

you'll know what's normal and what's not for her xxxxx

Back