• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do Any of Your Rabbits Refuse Every Type of Veg ?

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
Flynn is about 8 and he has never liked Veg/fresh herbs. Very, very occasionally he will nibble at a bit of dark greens. But then he'll thump at it and hop off :?

Flynn is an odd Rabbit in many other ways too, so it might just be that not liking Veg is another oddity to add to the list. Anyone else have a Rabbit who does not like Veg/fresh herbs ?

Charlie is scared of any veg that is damp. He'll eat carrot/ broccoli and spring greens. You have to dry it with a towel first and if it's not dry enough, he'll sit and state at you until you do it :shock:
He won't eat fruit at all. I put a strawberry in his food bowl once and he thumped at me and ran off.

I started offering it all when he was quiet young, but he just won't eat it. Milly does eat it, and even if she's eating a bit of banana or apple he just won't. He once took a tiny, tiny bite out of apple skin and that's the most fruit he's eaten in his life :roll:

He doesn't drink much either though, so I do think he has an issue with dampness/texture :?

Alfie isn't that keen on most veg, he does eat it but when I give them their veg supper he will have a nibble then go back to the hay box then he may go back for a nibble if theres anything left. Buster will eat anything you put down for him :D

Hahaaaa steph182 now there is a bunny slave if ever I have heard one! :D

Binky would barely eat anything green, but definite no to spring greens, kale, broccoli for the first two years here. It actually worked quite well when he lived with Shadow as it gave Shadow something to eat gradually as he couldn't eat hay. When Binky was admitted at the vets for his spine issues a year ago they reported daily that he wasn't eating veg to which I said, "No, he won't eat anything green." So while he was there our lovely vet sedated him and had a really good look at his teeth and reported back that there was no reason she could see for him not eating fresh greens.... from that day he's been a really good eater of greens *strange beast*.

I used to have a rabbit that refused grass :shock: he was a house rabbit and if we brought him any he would dig it until it formed a carpet and then lie in it and go to sleep. Never eat it! :lol:

Our piggies at the time loved the stuff so on days they couldn't spend the whole day in the run they would get a bowlful hand cut for them. Even in winter we tried to make sure they got their daily grass fix :lol: but the rabbit? Not a hope! :roll: :lol:

I haven't got one rabbit that doesn't like veg, greens etc. When Billy came here, they said he won't eat grass, nor did he eat hay, the reason being he came with 2 large packets of chocolate digestive biscuits! :lol: He did actually eat grass eventually, when he realised there were no biscuits here.

Not a rabbit but Kat the chinchilla hates all fruit and moist food, won't touch it. None of them get vegetables but Babydarling and Nylon love fruit, beg for it all the time, Kat runs up, sniffs and darts straight off. Never in 10 years so much as a nibble.

Will wouldn't eat any greens when we first got him. Even Poppy was quite fussy and only ate herbs. The day we took him to meet Nancy the rescue owner gave them a spring green leaf to take their mind off the humping and I said that Will wouldn't eat it! He then made me out to be a liar as he started eating it with her. Even now he will only eat the larger leaf spring greens and only sharing with Nancy. If I try to give them a leaf each he still eats the one she's eating.:) He's my funny fussy boy, doesn't even eat fenugreek crunchies:?

Thumper only ate veg + a small piece of apple peel for 4 weeks but insisted on fallen apple leaves as hors d'oeuvres. He ate herbs as a treat for longer. Serious GI problems.
Benjie has never eaten human veg, but loves a bit of basil & forage & of course his leaves as staple. He gets gut slow down but seems to come out of it when foxes come near the house.
If Benjie thumps he's very scared.

Pip and Mimzy love veg to their detriment. Both get terrible poopy bum if they get too much and some days even a little is overboard. Mimzy however is not a good water drinker so any greens he gets is put towards the goal of making his gut run at least a little better. In fact today OH was finally able to get to the store and came back with some lovely parsley, which Mimzy hasn't had in awhile and it took less than a wink for him to snarf it down.
Sadly the calcium does him no favours and his wee will be chalky tonight, poor bub.

Fiver however does realize that greens from the store will hurt his tum, and fruit too, so will not eat either. However he adores plain canned pumpkin! I had to stop feeding it though as it contributed to loose cecals. That was when his vet put him on the hay only diet and, even though the hay is rubbish this year, that's all he wants. No variations, just third cut timothy. I've got terrible allergies to most of their hays, so I try to stick to ones with as little seedheads/pollens as possible, but I think they get stiffed on fiber that way. :(

Bunnies are just odd creatures in general. :? :roll:

My buns eat everything and would eat your hand trying to get it o_o

Mine too! They've yet to refuse anything I've offered them. They're good hay eaters too. I think they're a bit greedy really but I've not given them any sweet things yet as I've only had them for 2 and a bit weeks so I know they are eating good things and no sign of any tummy upsets yet.

They had a basil leaf yesterday which I thought they might refuse, it has such a strong smell but they wolfed that down too!

My Charlotte is a picky eater when it comes to veg and fruit. She loves endive, some herbs and carrot tops and banana but anything else she turns her nose up at. She hates very strong scented things, won't go near mint, rosemary or apples where the others love them.

My Boris was extremely picky, the only veg I could ever get him to eat was carrots! He became really ill from eating lettuce once when he was little so I wonder if that experience put him off or something.

Pippin doesn't really like veg but would eat it if I left it out. She prefers herbs and forage :)

Back