• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Poorly Springfield but no clue why? Please help!

Springfield24

Alpha Buck
Hi. This morning I hand fed Springfield and Lola around 2/3 burgess pellets each - I do this while I'm filling their dish with the rest to stop them fighting over them. They both wolfed them down as usual. I then scattered the rest on the floor. Lola continued to eat them whereas Springfield lay down and refused any more. I think he might have been tummy pressing but as I haven't seen it before I can't be sure but basically he kept standing up, flopping/lying full stretch. He then sat on the toilet and weed but didn't pass any poo. I was quite concerned too because he also lay in his toilet. .. anyway I booked him in to the vets first thing. Since it was 7am and they didn't open till 8:30 I let them out of their pen to play. He surprised me by running full pelt around the room and jumping up and down onto the settees much like he usually would. Anyway I offered him the pellets again and he had them plus hay plus forage.

I took him to the vets who gave him a good check over and found nothing wrong with him. I took him home and he pooped fairly quickly too. When I've come in from work there he seems fine. There are 2/3 abnormal poos but I can't be certain which rabbit they've come from.

I'm really worried because this morning I was convinced he had a hind leg problem - if it was a slight block (also not sure how as he's on a good diet) - could the block have affected his movement?

Sorry it's a MASSIVE post! Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated because I don't trust that he's 100% ok even though he seems it.

*worried bunny mummy*

Perhaps he just had a bit of gas that caused him a bit of pain then passed. This has happened to my bun before where he seemed to be pressing, wouldn't eat, looked really down and let me pick him up, which was very odd! But by the time the emergency vet phoned back he started eating and was fine, happy, playing and pooping! I may be wrong but I would say if hes seems back to his normal self then I would put it down to gas and just keep a close eye on him :wave:

Yes, it does sound like he had a gassy tummy. The run around he had probably helped get things moving and the gas dispersed.

Freckle tummy presses with gas (he is quite sensitive, once he stole a g pig pellet that dropped into his run from my scoop and he went into full blown stasis :shock: ), but as has happened with Springfield a run around seems to help shift it. I also have Infacol on hand - he loves the taste and it can really help with painful gas

Thanks everybody I should feel relieved but I'm not yet. Probably won't feel 100% happy about him for a few days or so till I see if it happens again.

Thanks again :)

This is exactly what happens to my bun but he won't get better for 24 hrs unless I give him the infacol mentioned in my post today. Maybe keep some in in case and if he does it again give him one syringe of it and see if it gets him eating again like it does with mine.

This is exactly what happens to my bun but he won't get better for 24 hours unless I give him the infacol mentioned in my post today. Maybe keep some in in case and if he does it again give him one syringe of it and see if it gets him eating again like it does with mine.

How do I get infacol? He seems fine now but I'm still watching his every mischievous move! Thanks

Hi he's doing it again! He was totally fine for 2 weeks and now he won't eat or drink unless it's veg and keeps jumping in the toilet but not able to do anything. I've given him a good tummy massage but no luck. How do you give I nfacol and how much? I'm giving him till 8pm then going to emergency vet help please? !

if you press your ear against his side, you will hear the gas 'popping' and 'fizzing'. if it's silent, or not many sounds, then his gut has slowed down and it's more likely stasis starting.

infacol is 1ml, then another 1ml an hour later. this should be enough.

bisc suffers from gassy episodes and we keep metaclopramide at home to give him. and metacam but he's on that anyway.

:wave:

eta: has he had anything different food wise? or have you given something today which he hasn't had for a while?

Thanks for your reply. Think he needs a vet really. I'll keep you all updated. No new food plenty of Hay and a silent tummy

Thanks for your reply. Think he needs a vet really. I'll keep you all updated. No new food plenty of Hay and a silent tummy

Has he been stressed recently? My Shadowfax did this exact same thing. She went off her food, tummy pressed etc and then just as I was about to take her to the vets, suddenly perked up and started eating again. Exactly 2 weeks later she did it again, she started eating, but not much, and the next day she was back to being poorly. She went to the vets and was given all the right things, but it still took her a good week to get over it properly. The vet suspected it was triggered by stress; she had been recently bonded, moved indoors, then there was a huge thunderstorm the night before she went into stasis, and it was also the weekend of bonfire night.

fingers crossed we've not had another episode. Sending lots vibes to Springfield. x

No stress except for claws clipped yesterday. He's been given metoclopramide and melox. Vet was greatshe said she could feel hard poops. He's totally zonked by the rradiator. Will try to give him some recovery sachets later. Thanks for the vibes x

Update - he's pooping/weeing/eating/drinking and running around again. Still watching his every move but fingers crossed he's on the mend. Thanks again

Update - he's pooping/weeing/eating/drinking and running around again. Still watching his every move but fingers crossed he's on the mend. Thanks again

:thumb: :thumb: Excellent.

If this happens again, I would suggest cutting out all veg and feeding just hay and pellets for while to see how he goes. Then if he is ok, you can start to introduce certain veg...this way you can try to find out what is causing his tummy troubles. :)

Back