• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bored rabbit - digging

Temeraire

Young Bun
ok, so I've already posted asking advice here but I seem to be in limbo and really am concerned that it's not good for Cookie.

Cookie has started to dig a lot more - especially around 2am. It wakes me up, I pick him up and put him on his cushion for a ten minute snuggle before heading to bed and he doesn't resume - so I know it's attention that he wants. He also seems to be trying to chew the floor (it's thin tile over concrete) - he has lots of chewing material that he is making good use of already but it is getting noisy and the downstairs neighbours are NOT impressed. The elderly lady who used to live there was lovely, said she could barely hear it and it didn't bother her, he only did it rarely then. These ones though, well, he is a known violent alcoholic with a criminal record and I am scared tbh. :cry:

It is a social housing estate and I have spoken to the housing manager who I know very well and he has been lovely about it, couldn't have hoped for better really. He thinks they make far more noise especially with the dog they shut outside to bark and he thinks a little bit more scratching is nothing to worry about but he is trying to move me to a downstairs flat if possible, so Cookie can then have a garden to dig in and digging the floor won't upset anyone but me! But it could take months if not years to get this.

I have been trying to find him a companion bunny and one rescue has said they would help bond, although they haven't responded to any of my recent messages but I know this will take weeks to find one suitable and bond and I am concerned about after the bonding. He has full run of the flat now and I'm not sure how much I can restrict the space down when they get back here to maintain the bond. I'm also concerned that I will then have two bunnies digging and making twice as much noise!

When he digs I pick him, give him a fuss, move him somewhere else and give him something to chew or take him to somewhere he can dig but he just runs straight back and carries on. I've tried blocking off his favourite digging spots but this just makes him angry and he digs around the obstacles. He has two large cardboard boxes to dig and chew, two tunnels, a large cushion, several dog matress type things and a wooden hay rack box he can jump on and chew but it's the digging of the hard floor he wants. I've considered getting some carpet cut offs for his preferred spots but I suspect he will just find new places without carpet.

Today he has been demanding my attention non-stop. I'm a self-employed bookkeeper and really need to sit down at the computer and get some work done but he's constantly wanted a cuddle and a fuss or he's been digging :cry:

I just worry that I cannot give him the attention that he needs, that things with the neighbours will escalate before I can move or find him a companion, that bonding the companion is going to be near impossible with the current situation ... I really couldn't bear to let him go but honestly, should I be thinking of it? He's five-ish and I don't want him to be miserable for the rest of his days at the same time I have a tricky situation trying to prevent war with the neighbours and I do need something of a life myself - I need to spend time with my boyfriend at his place, get out and meet clients, collect work, etc, etc.

I would feel terrible if I did find him a good home and then found out I was moving a few weeks later but the stress is making me ill, he isn't happy and I don't know what else to do.

Last edited:
Are you absolutely sure cookie is a 'he'?

I only ask as the bucks I have had dig a lot less than the does. Have you tried moving his base to another area? Dues he have things he can get in/under. I have found when bucks dig often they are trying to get out if sight or into the comfort if a shelter it hole - that's what they are digging for.

:wave: Hi there:D - awww so sorry to hear your dilemma with your bunny, for something so cute they can cause considerable stress in aspects of their welfare.

I'm sure some of the other folks will be a long but couple of thoughts for you as follows:-

Is he neutered? - tbh this alone probably will not deter a digger bunny completely but it may help if he is feeling a little frustrated.

Does he dig constantly all the time or just at night? - you mention he has free range of your flat - is there an area where you could contain him during sleep time - say with a large dog pen which you could pop all his favourite toys in - perhaps pop him on VetBed or an old duvet cover where he could dig to his hearts content but not make a noise to cause problems with your neighbours?

What is your feeding routine? - I have a girlie who likes a little dig and she is on pretty well a total hay diet with small amount of veg - I always ensure she has a fab new top up of hay in her tray before sleep time and ensure she has willow toys etc for chews - this means she will munch away at her hay and play with chews for added stimulation.

Ultimately Rabbits do need time and stimulation - my girlie bun takes a lot of time and planning:lol: to ensure her needs are met and I spend as much time as I can playing with her, even when she is having a little dig on her duvet - but with the effort I am rewarded that by bedtime she is generally ready for bed and she sleeps right though to 8.00 ish am next morning without a peep - lol - bit like having a toddler really - lol.

A friend may certainly help and I'm sure a Rescue would give you help and advise re suitable pairings etc - but be careful - lol - if your bunny is generally just a happy bunny digger - you could find a friend could copy the behaviour - they are all so individual its difficult to predict - so hopefully some more RU'ers will have some more experience of this to help.

I know it can be very overwhelming coping with these situations so hang on in there and hopefully there will be some more suggestions shortly to help you.

Lany :wave:

Are you absolutely sure cookie is a 'he'?

I only ask as the bucks I have had dig a lot less than the does. Have you tried moving his base to another area? Dues he have things he can get in/under. I have found when bucks dig often they are trying to get out if sight or into the comfort if a shelter it hole - that's what they are digging for.

Yes, he was castrated at 15 months! He was also a stud buck before I got him, so pretty sure!

He can get under my bed, there is a table in the corner of the bedroom he can get under, the two cardboard boxes have holes in so he can crawl and hide in there, he has a cat pyramid to hide in and a two tier hutch in the living room - so plenty of hiding spaces. I've had him here nearly three years and he has occasionally dug in the same few places but not as consistently as recently.

The neighbours have been noisier so it could be that - just realised I havent had the radio on today like I usually do (always leave it on when im not here also) so have turned that on and see if he continues - I may leave it on low when I'm here sleeping in the bedroom and see if that helps at all.

I do think it is primarily attention based though - I've gone from being housebound with illness to needing to get out everyday and I know that is a big change for him.

:wave: Hi there:D - awww so sorry to hear your dilemma with your bunny, for something so cute they can cause considerable stress in aspects of their welfare.

I'm sure some of the other folks will be a long but couple of thoughts for you as follows:-

Is he neutered? - tbh this alone probably will not deter a digger bunny completely but it may help if he is feeling a little frustrated.

Does he dig constantly all the time or just at night? - you mention he has free range of your flat - is there an area where you could contain him during sleep time - say with a large dog pen which you could pop all his favourite toys in - perhaps pop him on VetBed or an old duvet cover where he could dig to his hearts content but not make a noise to cause problems with your neighbours?

What is your feeding routine? - I have a girlie who likes a little dig and she is on pretty well a total hay diet with small amount of veg - I always ensure she has a fab new top up of hay in her tray before sleep time and ensure she has willow toys etc for chews - this means she will munch away at her hay and play with chews for added stimulation.

Ultimately Rabbits do need time and stimulation - my girlie bun takes a lot of time and planning:lol: to ensure her needs are met and I spend as much time as I can playing with her, even when she is having a little dig on her duvet - but with the effort I am rewarded that by bedtime she is generally ready for bed and she sleeps right though to 8.00 ish am next morning without a peep - lol - bit like having a toddler really - lol.

A friend may certainly help and I'm sure a Rescue would give you help and advise re suitable pairings etc - but be careful - lol - if your bunny is generally just a happy bunny digger - you could find a friend could copy the behaviour - they are all so individual its difficult to predict - so hopefully some more RU'ers will have some more experience of this to help.

I know it can be very overwhelming coping with these situations so hang on in there and hopefully there will be some more suggestions shortly to help you.

Lany :wave:

Yes, he was castrated the week I got him. He does sometimes do a little 'caveman' dance around me with grunts but I think that's just because we've bonded?

He gets about an egg cup full of science selective in the morning with a scoop of pro-fibre, one stick of celery (only veg his stomach can tolerate) and constant access to a hay box with three types of hay and fresh water. He isn't a huge hay eater but is eating more now than he ever has done.

He usually takes himself off to sleep in one of the cardboard boxes. I think if I tried to put a duvet down he would just dig it up like he does with the blanket on the floor. I think wherever he was, he would find a way to dig.

I do spend as much time as possible entertaining him, snuggling up to him, rubbing his nose, etc. Unfortunately I sleep in until 10am most days due to my ME so that could be a reason but it is nothing new. Most nights I will spend half an hour right before bed trying to entertain him and sometimes it will work other times he will wait half an hour before starting to dig.

I am concerned that it could be double trouble ultimately ... I just want to do the best by him, even if that does mean tears on my part.

I have a male castrated digger too - although with mine being outdoors the problems only occur within my garden thankfully. I just wanted to reassure you though that having found him a friend last year, she hasn't copied his digging behaviour and indeed he does it less than he used to.

Now just to stop her getting places she shouldn't... :lol: ;)

I think it will either not happen so much or stop when you get him a companion

Yuri was the same it drove me mad 0_o

Once bonded she was lovely and calmed down

Thanks everyone.

Stick to the original plan of trying to find him a companion then.

My local rescue who I thought was going to help seems to be ignoring my messages :( Hoping they're just busy rather than decided they don't want to help me!

On the plus side, housing manager filled in my application to go on the housing register for a downstairs flat, I don't know how full it is (probably very!) but fingers crossed.

I have a little boy who occasionally likes to dig. Just wondering what you have in your cardboard boxes? My boy used to like the box filled with torn up newspaper, he would dig and push it all out, and then I'd just push it all back in, kept him entertained for hours. Maybe give this a try.
But I do think a companion bunny would be the best thing.
Hope you get sorted and find a solution x

I have a little boy who occasionally likes to dig. Just wondering what you have in your cardboard boxes? My boy used to like the box filled with torn up newspaper, he would dig and push it all out, and then I'd just push it all back in, kept him entertained for hours. Maybe give this a try.
But I do think a companion bunny would be the best thing.
Hope you get sorted and find a solution x

Thanks

They are empty apart from the bits of cardboard he has ripped up/chewed off - I did see him push a cardigan he found of mine in one of them a while ago. I might try the newspaper thing and see what happens - I did try a foraging box when I first got him but he never seemed very keen, worth a try although he does like to eat paper and I think that was the cause of a blockage/gut stasis - don't really want him eating anymore.

I have 3 boys 2 definitely dig as if they get chance they take it in shifts :roll: ie in the run on the grass they are off Stu has dug 3 times out of the run and the last burrow :shock: was about 3 feet long before,I noticed it was happening :oops: because they flatten the dirt they dig up, and as they went down and along instead as up and out :lol:

I have had to put mesh on the bottom of both runs now :roll:

My local rescue who I thought was going to help seems to be ignoring my messages :( Hoping they're just busy rather than decided they don't want to help me!

Every rescue I've ever spoken to has been slow to respond to messages. It's nothing personal, they're all just sooo busy!

Every rescue I've ever spoken to has been slow to respond to messages. It's nothing personal, they're all just sooo busy!

yeah, I know. They were really quick responding to my first message which is why I was unsure but I know you're right. I'm just to anxious to try and improve Cookie's situation :)

Back