• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Spending on the bunnies.

Aly&Poppy<3

Wise Old Thumper
It's okay isn't it?!

I've spent £60 over the past week but that includes food, I just added a few extra things.. :D and then the amazon orders came today..

Next weekend my mom and I are off to the Hungry Horse in my dad's van to collect 4 bales of hay (we're going so we can choose the hay as my dad, bless him, can't tell the difference between good hay and rubbish hay:lol: The end of my latest bale has straw in!) a couple of bags of treat hay for Donny & Lola and by treat hay I mean small bags of meadow hay :lol: some forage for Leo & Kerbie, a chube for Poppy and maybe some more chewy things for Charley :D and then whatever else I find :lol:

It's fine that I'm doing this, they deserve it for being completely adorable :p I can't go for hay and just not come out with anything else! :lol:

I don't get paid til Friday its feeling like the longest month of my life! But I have a huge list of bunny related things to buy already!

I actually spend very little on my buns, biggest expense being the hay for pets hay. They probably get through 2 and a half or 3 bags of the stuff a month plus I found a local pet shop that stocks nice-ish hay at £2.80 for a bag more than half the size of the h4p stuff :shock: but it's a bit dusty and one bag was mouldy so I'm a bit wary (mouldy bag had a rip in the bag so I think it got damp and was a one off). Once I have a new car I'm going to try and find a local horsey place that can sell me bales and then I'll cut the h4p down to one bag a month :thumb:

They occasionally get willow balls but Thor and Poppy didn't even finish their last one :roll: Loki and Farore ignore chill and chew mats and to be honest the only things they play with are boxes which we get free :p and things stuffed with hay which we also got free. They will use tunnels and bridges but a box is WAY more exciting and we have access to loads of them through what my OH does :p

Their fave toy ever (both pairs) is a metal trixie treat feeder thing with a bell on, the ones you stuff with food and hag up for them. Well I take the chains off stuff with hay and let them throw them around the room. Being metal it makes a racket but is pretty indestructible. Cost £4 each and are about a year old and both going strong! :p

I used to buy loads more and I don't think they were happier. Treats I stick to forage and fenugreek crunchies which are rationed. Most new toys get ignored (unless they jingle) and there is only so many jingle balls you can give them!

The only really expensive bit is insurance :shock: :roll: :lol:

I don't buy them specific veg they just get our scraps really as treats (mean mummy) and their bag of food was about £8 and opened just after Christmas, well over half left :p

Farore is on daily meds but that shouldn't cost me more than £50 a year including extra syringes.

I only really spend when I'm sad, and I'm sad so it all counts :lol:

Of the £60, £40 was on food (my bf makes me bulk buy Poppy's food because he fears we will run out :lol:). Although I needn't have bought anymore dwarf hamster food :(

Here's my petsupermarket delivery, minus the fenugreek crunchies which arrived today and ham food which was in tubs-

I think if I didn't have to buy h4p and timothy hay I wouldn't look so much but.. I can't help it :p I suppose I don't have anything else to pay for though, once we move out it will aaaall change. Better do it while I still can :lol:

I am hoping I'll choose some yummy baled hay for the buns as that will mean I won't have to buy h4p meadow hay as often, they loved the last bale but this one is rubbish!

Will be stopping after the Hungry Horse shop, I want a new car :D:D

Last edited:
I just got a huuuuuge pile of out of date newspapers from my work for free! One of the guys remembered me asking about them before so I came back from a meeting to a pile of them! Should keep me going for a month or so

And once I start getting hay from local farm I think they'll cost £10-15 per month for food/hay. They're not yet insured though and housing was expnsive but ongoing are currently pretty cheap :)

I've just totted up and I've done £62 on amazon and hay experts in January. Its been different hays, treats and toys. That doesn't include greens etc from Tesco every week. Have also got to buy a big bag of rabbit Royale at weekend, 'cheap' litter box hay and straw. I only have 2 buns.:oops:(Don't any of my fb friends mention this- my oh would have a fit)

Don't get me started! My bunnies are literally bankrupting me :shock: I spend £32 a WEEK on H4P hay. £58 on insurance a month. About £60 a month from hay experts ATM for forage and fancy hay and crunchies. And that doesn't include food and herbs/veg. I'm struggling big time!!

I've been trying to cut down what I spend a month, if I'm let loose with the credit card online I can't help myself :oops: A month I spend £16 on hay4pets which lasts my three a month buts it's strictly for eating only! Then I buy a Natures own bag of hay for litter trays which is around £3. Veggies is £6 a week. They hardly have any pellets so a 4kg bag lasts around 2 months plus. Then I just buy a bag of treats and some dried herbs just for treats. So roughly about £30 a month. But then again most people my age are out drinking and partying every weekend, I would much rather spend my money on the rabbits.

I think if I didn't have my furries I would have a Porsche on the drive not a Corsa :shock:

I love them dearly though (and I never add it up :lol: :shock:)

Back