• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pansy's story...a few vibes would be appreciated

louise and Gus

Wise Old Thumper
After reading so many people say they want to see more in Rabbit Chat I realised I haven't posted about my buns in a long time...and there has been a lot going on, so I'll start with Pansy.

Pansy has had a lot of issues in the few months I have had her, when she was bonded to Womble she was a happy, normal bun who loved jumping up on the sofa and followed Womble around like a lost puppy. Sadly we lost womble very suddenly after they had only been bonded a few weeks. Pansy took it very hard, she developed snuffles, then one day I came home and she couldn't walk and was loosing her balance, it was an ear infection in her right ear, what followed was months of injections, ear drops, nebulising and meds. Finally she was well enough that I thought she needed a friend, she was bonded with Albert, who is the most adorable sooty fawn lop. As was ok, although Pansy still had balanced issues and was far from "normal". She then developed headtilt, again due to the ear infection.

My vet and I decided to try her on Zithromax as lots of people seemed to have success using it to fight ear infections, unfortunately with 10 mins of the first dose Pansy was in a huge amount of pain, and wouldn't move or eat, a worrying weekend of intensive nursing followed but she was ok. Slowly the head tilt improved and she started being more like her old self, however on a routine vets trip we found that telltale bump at the base of her left ear which indicated an outer ear abscess, we tried cleaning it out a few times but it became obvious she needed an op to remove it and create a new ear canal...she had this done three weeks ago, it has made a big difference, she can wash with both paws again and groom herself properly for the first time in a long time.

Unfortunately it appears as well as the outer ear abscess there is a nasty inner ear infection on this side as well, my vet is concerned about the amount of pus coming out, so we have stopped the penicillin (which she has been on since the beginning) and she is having a swab taken tomorrow to see if a different antibiotic will help.
So poor Pansy has really been through it in the 9 months since we lost Womble. Through out it all she has remained lively and happy, Her and Albert are best buddies and are always snuggling together, she is such a little fighter I just hope she can fight this ear infection. She will never be a normal bunny I am sure, but she is incredible, such spirt, she never seems down and just takes everything in her stride!
A few vibes that we get some useful info from the swab would be appreciated...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Last edited:
Bless her heart, ear infections are utterly evil. I really empathise with you as I know what an uphill struggle it can be just to 'contain' things.
I do hope that Poppy can enjoy as much quality time as possible, even though a complete cure may not be achieved xx

Good to have an update on your buns, but I'm sorry poor Pansy has been so uunwell. Sending lots of vibes for her. xx

Poor Pansy. :( I'm so sorry she's had so much to deal with in the last few months. She's very lucky to have you and a brilliant vet looking out for her though and I wish you all the best with the latest swab results. xx

And, yep, pics needed!! ;) :love:

Pansy sounds like quite the fighter from what you've described. Would love to see pictures of her and Albert. :love:
Mimzy has been a headtilt bunny for almost two years (in June) and I sympathize with you over the worry you experience when their little bodies go wonky. He continues to have issues with his ears with no real solution as to what's causing it other than his lop-ness.
Hoping the results give you a clear direction of what to do next and that Pansy has many more comfy days ahead to cuddle with her husbun. xxxx

Back