• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Starting to think Poppy isn't pregnant

Whitelighter

Warren Scout
So we had major best building last Wednesday but since then nothing.

No fur pulling, she's accepting nose ribs (though not as willingly as she used to), she's eating and drinking and is now completely ignoring her best. So much so that when I refreshed her cage base today I pulled it all out (no kits) and refreshed the area with gay but didn't rebuild the nest and since she has gone back in she hasn't given it a second glance.

I thought nest building meant imminent kits - so does the behaviour above suggest a phantom? As she has not pulled fur or done anything for nearly a week since building the nest.

It will be interesting to see if she rebuilds it now I've taken it away. Even the manic digging has stopped more or less.

Could be hormonal, if you take her to the vets they should be able to have a wee feel and see if there are any babies.

i know angel had a phantom where she was actually lactating! Was so weird, and nothing like that ever again after her spay.
i also discovered that she had a cyst on her ovary which could have been causing the hormonal fluctuations, and could have been sore for her :(
my poor wee baby.

hope poppy is just having a phantom xxx

How long has it been since she had contact with a buck?

Could well be a phantom, but you're not out of the woods till 30 days after she was last with a buck. First-time pregnant does' behaviour is sometimes not typical as they are inexperienced, especially young does.

I'd take her to the vet, they will be able to have a feel and also may be able to do an emergency spay if she is 14+ weeks. I hope for her and your sake it is just a phantom!

Last edited:
The nest can be made and remade several times during pregnancy- right from the start to the end. The fur pulling often happens imminently before birth, unless the doe is very experienced and she may pull a couple of days prior to kindling. I wouldn't read too much into what you're seeing, however, the eating and drinking is a good sign that she isn't due imminently.

What day number are you on at the moment?

We don't know the exact date of mating, but it's sometime between dec 27 and 29th - so I guess that makes it day 28, 29 or day 30.

Count on 35 days from the last day that is possible- if you get past that without babies then you can consider yourself in the clear.

(so next Sunday- if nothing by next Sunday, then consider yourself in the clear but be on alert until then and, if you haven't, have a read of the sticky thread in health).

Thanks all.

I have looked after kits from birth before (Poppy is one actually) so I'm comfortable with how to deal with them. *if* she is then we gave homes lined up for two pairs and any extras we will happily keep in the shirt to medium term and forever if required.

Back