• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Introduction of rabbit to dog

Hi!
My rabbit is 10 months old and my dog is 5 and a half months old but I am trying to get them introduced, so they can get along together.
I have tried before but I wasn't very successful.
If you have any tips, please let me know!
Thank you for your help!:D

Hi welcome to the forum :wave:

To be honest, I wouldn't set out to try to make a dog and a bunny friends. I think it would be very stressful for the bunny. In my opinion it's best to keep them apart for the safety of the bunny.

Your bunny would be much happier with another rabbit as a friend.

What sort of bunny is he? Is he neutered? And where does he live? Indoors or out?

Hi welcome to the forum :wave:

To be honest, I wouldn't set out to try to make a dog and a bunny friends. I think it would be very stressful for the bunny. In my opinion it's best to keep them apart for the safety of the bunny.

Your bunny would be much happier with another rabbit as a friend.

What sort of bunny is he? Is he neutered? And where does he live? Indoors or out?

Agree with this!

From personal experience, my rabbits couldn't care less about my puppy and they only see her once a week. I just started by feeding them whilst rewarding the pup for being calm near them (she was on her lead and they were in their run), but they didn't seem particularly bothered anyway. These days I don't let them roam around together but when the pup is chilling after a walk they can hop around without her paying them any attention and they've occasionally gone nose to nose. Their only really problem is her trying to steal their veg through the bars of the run!

It's a good idea to train your dog to be calm around them and generally get used to them so they are not fixated even if they're in their enclosure.

My dog and bunny are on 'ignoring terms'. Lola will occasionally hop over to Poppy if Poppy is in the kitchen, but Poppy never bothers with Lola other than the odd sniff. I know she wouldn't hurt Lola.

If your dog is generally a softie, id have the dog laid on the floor and allow the bun to come over and investigate in it's own time, but only if you have complete control of your dog.

Poppy and Lola are generally kept separate but its nice for Lola to binky around the living room sometimes so it's good for them to be used to each other.

I guess it depends on how unsuccessful the last meeting was too.

Hello and welcome to RU. :wave: I have no experience in introducing rabbits to dogs, so cannot really help, but others have replied.

Back