• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Fleece fibres

Jesselle

Mama Doe
Since adding a little pad under Neville's fleece in his box where he sleeps for his sore hocks, he's not been able to stop digging. I don't think he likes the pad much so I've removed it.

With his digging and scratching he's created some 'fleece fluff' which I've just been removing from his pen. However, I've noticed some large droppings and one 'pearl string' dropping which I inspected (as you do).

Turns out there were fibres in the droppings. His ears are moulting at the mo, but his body isn't. I think the fibres were from the fleeces. They were quite fine and short but still slightly alarming.

Do I need to worry about a blockage? He's eating and pooping normally. He never dug at his fleece until the pad was underneath it so I'm hoping he'll stop now that the pad is gone. I don't know how else to pad his pen out (unless I use grass mats?) so I'm not keen to remove the fleece.

Personally I would not be happy leaving the fleece in-situ if he is now ingesting some of the fibres. It sounds as though things are passing through OK at the moment, but over time fibre ingestion can cause problems. I would use lots of soft deep hay in his resting area. Do you know the reason why he has developed sore hocks ?

I agree re the fleece. He didn't bother with it before the pad was underneath. I switched his usual cardboard hideout (no bottom) for a grass house hideout with a base so that he isn't sitting directly on fleece.

He doesn't have a layer of hay as I didn't want to confuse him re litter training. Though if it's going to help his hocks then it'll be worth it. How do you find litter training when there's a layer of hay elsewhere?

The vet didn't look into why he had sore hocks. He thought it'd just be down to the carpet and hard floors Neville now spends time on, however I know it can be down to biomechanics etc so I'm monitoring them.

Hmm, interesting update. I was grooming Neville this morn and it seems his chest is also moulting!

It could well have been a hair ball rather than fleece fibres.

I've just been attempting to pull out loose hair from his chest - much more difficult than grooming his ears!

Back