• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Anti-parasite Spot On?

KatP

Alpha Buck
Do you treat your buns for worms, lice and fleas?

When I got my buns I was given enough Beaphar to treat each one with one vial every month for 6 months, I have since been out to buy my first lot, I was told to use one vial per rabbit but on the box it's says for rabbits one vial per 750g body weight of rabbit, both of mine are over this! Should I use as directed on the box or carry on with just the one vial per rabbit? My rabbits don't come into contact with any other pet but live out doors.

Thanks for any advice in advance.

I do not routinely use any anti parasite treatments. I dont like applying nasty chemicals to my Rabbits unless absolutely necessary.

I have only used them in cases of known infestation and in the last 16 years, having cared for well over 120 Rabbits, that has only occurred on three occasions.

I do not routinely use any anti parasite treatments. I dont like applying nasty chemicals to my Rabbits unless absolutely necessary.

I have only used them in cases of known infestation and in the last 16 years, having cared for well over 120 Rabbits, that has only occurred on three occasions.

In that case should I only treat them if I think they need it?

I agree that I'm not really happy putting chemicals on my buns unless they need it. I was just acting on the advice I had been given when I got the rabbits. I only want what is best for my buns.

In that case should I only treat them if I think they need it?

I agree that I'm not really happy putting chemicals on my buns unless they need it. I was just acting on the advice I had been given when I got the rabbits. I only want what is best for my buns.

As I said, I would only treat if there was evidence of mites/fleas. I may treat for fleas as a precaution if in an area with a high Myxomatosis risk. Not as an alternative to vaccination, but as an additional precaution.

Back