• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

British Rabbit Council judge an absolute disgrace

RedFraggle

Warren Veteran
No word of a lie, I was chatting to a BRC judge today (was doing PR at the rat show at the burgess pet show)and he said that rabbits don't need hay and that he feeds straw which has a higher nutritional content.
Absolute disgrace.
I've only met one rabbit breeder I have any respect for. No wonder the majority are so ill informed with idiots like that in positions of respect.

Report him to the BRC, I'm not sure if they'll do much but it's worth a try if he's giving out such terrible advice. Unfortunately a lot of exhibitors are very stuck in old ways :roll: You don't have to know a thing about rabbit welfare to be a judge and the BRC don't like ask questions, unless it's changed recently, to become a judge all you've got to do is steward and book steward at a lot of shows (so basically stand and watch other judges)

When we were looking to get Alfred and rosy posy we rang them for advice and they said accommodation wise 3 hops is all is needed! :shock:

In the end I found an absolutely fantastic breeder who also felt their advice was totally ridiculous and she gave me all the info I needed to know!

Just incase others have also been give poor advice here is the rwaf site which states their actual requirements with diet and living space

Sometimes people you think should know better or who you think should be right with rabbit care give you the wrong information

Vets and other animal professionals can know a lot about other animals but have poor rabbit knowledge

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/ahutchisnotenough.htm

It's disgusting an official for rabbits specifically thought and said these things as people will believe his awful "knowledge"

(The info was for those who potentially may not know, as I know most users on RU know their stuff lol)

Last edited:
.... if straw had a higher nutrient content, horsey people would be feeding that instead of hay. Numpties. Its amazing how many bunnies have survived this long with idiotic advice like that going around.

When we were looking to get Alfred and rosy posy we rang them for advice and they said accommodation wise 3 hops is all is needed! :shock:

In the end I found an absolutely fantastic breeder who also felt their advice was totally ridiculous and she gave me all the info I needed to know!

Some of them would think 3 hops is generous, an exhibitor once told me that his giants were kept in 3ft cages :shock: His rabbits were always filthy too, judges always commented on it too which was holding him back from winning the top prizes but they never seemed to improve :roll: Why bother dragging them to a show where they're going to be instantly penalised for the condition they're in, clean the poor things out more! :evil: It's quite common for small breeds to be kept in 2ft boxes too :( I'm glad not to be involved anymore, it was so difficult hearing all the terrible advice given out but then who are the public going to listen to, an old and 'experienced' exhibitor or a 14 year old girl :roll:

Some of them would think 3 hops is generous, an exhibitor once told me that his giants were kept in 3ft cages :shock: His rabbits were always filthy too, judges always commented on it too which was holding him back from winning the top prizes but they never seemed to improve :roll: Why bother dragging them to a show where they're going to be instantly penalised for the condition they're in, clean the poor things out more! :evil: It's quite common for small breeds to be kept in 2ft boxes too :( I'm glad not to be involved anymore, it was so difficult hearing all the terrible advice given out but then who are the public going to listen to, an old and 'experienced' exhibitor or a 14 year old girl :roll:

:shock: I can't even begin to imagine how a giant bunny would fit in a 3ft cage!!! It'd have to be a flipping contortionist surely! Poor bunnies :cry:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back