• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Panacur: EEK!

MightyMax

Banned
Does anyone have experience of giving Pancur to reluctant rabbits who hate the taste?

Do you have any flavouring suggestions?

Either that or I'll be scratched to bits within days :shock:

I ended up giving mine it spread on a thin, small piece of carrot. I've heard of others putting it in a "sandwich" of Basil leaves etc.

Are you using the paste or the liquid ?

I'm using the liquid. I should have said that all three of mine have no front teeth, so they are restricted in what they can eat. Syringing it would be most reliable I feel, if I could get the flavour right :)

Thank you folks, I much appreciate your suggestions.

Think I may buy some malted shreddies to try, I can always break them up if they're too big for their toothless gums :lol:

No useful tips, I'm afraid. Mine all hate the taste and won't touch anything I tried to hide it in / on. So it was get rabbit secure under one arm and syringe straight between the teeth with the other hand. It is quick and you know it has gone in. After a week of doing 3 rabbits, you sort of get used to it and they give up resisting. It worked a bit better if I followed it up with something nicer to take the taste away.

Good idea. Mine would fight for a bit of banana :lol:

But would they fight for banana with "nasties" on it :lol::lol:
Not one of my 6 will be fooled by any treat / food whatsoever with medicine on... so... i just go for it and syringe it.... at least i know its gone down :D

But would they fight for banana with "nasties" on it :lol::lol:
Not one of my 6 will be fooled by any treat / food whatsoever with medicine on... so... i just go for it and syringe it.... at least i know its gone down :D

Hmmm..... I shall try and report back :D

I mixed it in ellas kitchen baby food. Mottle loved it. Peaches had her own unmedicated bit too, just to be fair!

Aww is that little Miss Ruby leading a rebellion :wave:

:wave:

Unfortunately yes :(

I came home late a couple of nights ago to find her with her head tilted way on one side. She had been fine three hours earlier.

I had some panacur paste in stock and gave her some immediately, and then took her and her husbun off to the emergency vet the following morning for examination and more liquid panacur.

The other diagnosis, given that she's an old lady, is a minor stroke ...

Ho hum xx

Oh no, poor little Ruby :(

Did you get to see your usual Vet? How is she doing now?

Sounds very similar to same happening with Beanie, although he had a limp as well. It took just over a week or so for him to get more or less back to normal.

Please let us know how she gets on, will be thinking of you all. xx

Oh no, poor little Ruby :(

Did you get to see your usual Vet? How is she doing now?

Sounds very similar to same happening with Beanie, although he had a limp as well. It took just over a week or so for him to get more or less back to normal.

Please let us know how she gets on, will be thinking of you all. xx

Thank you :)

Yes thank goodness my usual vet was available and moved fast, as did I! I'm very encouraged that you say Beanie made an improvement, as I understood that once damage was done by E.C. it couldn't be undone. That was the most depressing aspect ..

Did you flavour the Pancur in any way in the syringe? The vet has put them all on DOUBLE doses for six weeks, so there's a lot to get down them!

Well, he lost the tilt although it wasn't that obvious to begin with, but was left with a slight limp on a rear leg. It was with our last Vet, so I can't remember what else (if anything) she treated him with. But I remember her saying at the time it 'may' also have been a stroke with him too :(

I'm pretty sure I was using the paste, and used to sneak it in a piece of apple/strawberry and it always seemed to go down. Have you tried mixing the liquid with a bit of apple juice or Ribena?

Double dose for six weeks with all three of them :shock:...not for the faint hearted, but if anyone can do it you can :) xx

Back