• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What do you take with you when your buns are admitted?

LainiT

Warren Scout
Ellie's in for a dental on Wednesday, she's had a couple of GAs before, a fair few overnight stays but she gets so stressed at the vets. How much of their stuff is too much??

I always take food and water bowls, (and Bandit too of course!) , ready filled litter trays, I've taken their fleece blankets and they love hiding in their seagrass box so that's been before too. Not to mention the picnic of herbs, veg and pellets to get her eating again. The vets are always like 'well if it helps Ellie it helps us' but then when I've gone are they like :shock: :roll:

What do you take please :wave:

I just send a bag of food unless the rabbit is blind or brain damaged so struggles in new situations so may send a favourite blanket

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

But we do generally have bunnies admitted every week so maybe its not to people with one or two bunnies x

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

I only take food but if it helps you feel better and more relaxed about leaving them, I can't see any harm in it

You're not over the top at all. Vets will probably have a little giggle but who cares :) they won't go out and get herbs and veg so there is never too much in my opinion x

The vets are always like 'well if it helps Ellie it helps us' but then when I've gone are they like :shock: :roll:

:lol::lol: I doubt they think that. My daughter's a trainee vet nurse and the practice find it quite heartwarming I think to see owners that obviously care enough to make sure their animals are as comfortable as possible away from home. She's also often been sent out to pick dandelions and other forage (in all weathers!) to tempt the poorly bunnies that are on the ward so the nurses there are just as daft/dedicated as us bunny owners. ;):lol::lol:

Having said that though I just tend to send in some pellets and perhaps some fresh herbs/veg if mine are ever in. :oops:

My vets provide everything, so I just take the bun and carrier. They provide whatever food you feed, hay and greens and they get loads of love from the nurses.

It amazes me when I see people with their pets in a bare carrier though. I always put newspaper then loads of hat and treats for the journey to make it as pleasant as possible for them. And a snugglesafe if it's chilly outside.

I still have my bridge-buns dedicated lunch box in the cupboard. It still has his name on the lid.

I used to take a complete day's worth of food, including a piece of burnt toast and a slice of apple (wrapped in tin foil) for his elevenses!!

His cushion went in the carrier too.

:D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I still have my bridge-buns dedicated lunch box in the cupboard. It still has his name on the lid.

I used to take a complete day's worth of food, including a piece of burnt toast and a slice of apple (wrapped in tin foil) for his elevenses!!

His cushion went in the carrier too.

:D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:lol: :thumb: thanks for this made me feel more normal!! Might do a compromise of one litter tray and a water bowl along with the picnic, Ellie is fussy about her hay so there's my excuse!!

Thanks for the replies everyone, it's reassured me that I don't actually have to transport my entire kitchen to the vets and they will be ok!!

Ellie's in for a dental on Wednesday, she's had a couple of GAs before, a fair few overnight stays but she gets so stressed at the vets. How much of their stuff is too much??

I always take food and water bowls, (and Bandit too of course!) , ready filled litter trays, I've taken their fleece blankets and they love hiding in their seagrass box so that's been before too. Not to mention the picnic of herbs, veg and pellets to get her eating again. The vets are always like 'well if it helps Ellie it helps us' but then when I've gone are they like :shock: :roll:

What do you take please :wave:

What I pack depends on how long they're going in for and what for.

For a dental I pack pellets and treats, different herbs and veg/forage, and a little bit of hay. They have hay there but I send some familiar stuff for them in case they're being picky.

When I knew N&T were gonna be admitted for around a week, I packed toys and other bits and bobs - mainly for Tapla who wasn't poorly, she was just stuck there with her sister!

Back