• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

trip to the vets :(

Emma bunbun

Young Bun
Went to day morning to my Lola and she wasn't her usual bouncy self. She's very wobbly and kinda hunched up. She has eaten though. I hope I don't lose her :(

We're back. Tbh they didn't say much pretty much said when a rabbit is poorly there's not much survival rate (wow thanks for that) they said she's got quite thin and seems to be weeing a lot. Said to keep her in and make sure she eats plenty. She's had an injection and I've got some anti biotics to give her x

We're back. Tbh they didn't say much pretty much said when a rabbit is poorly there's not much survival rate (wow thanks for that) they said she's got quite thin and seems to be weeing a lot. Said to keep her in and make sure she eats plenty. She's had an injection and I've got some anti biotics to give her x

What was the injection?

I hope she feels better soon. X

Agree your vet doesn't sound very rabbit savvy, whereabouts are you located? You can post a read asking for recommendations for a rabbit savvy vet in ...

Sending lots of vibes to Lola xx

I think the injection was baytril? Coz I've been given some to feed her orally? Does that sound right?
I normally take her to companion care but im eligible for pdsa so went there and gave a donation.
She's still poorly but eating and moving around so I'm positive she will be fine x

I'm sorry to be negative but the vet you have seen clearly doesn't have a clue. Rabbits have a survival rate no different to otother animals if treated correctly the only difference is that rabbits hide illnesses well due to being prey animals so they go down hill quickly that's why it is vital to get the right treatment as soon as you notice any change in behaviour, eating habits etc.
I would strongly urge you to see a more rabbit savvy vet, It may cost more but hopefully not Lola's life which I fear may be the case if you continue taking the current vets advice.

I think the injection was baytril? Coz I've been given some to feed her orally? Does that sound right?
I normally take her to companion care but im eligible for pdsa so went there and gave a donation.
She's still poorly but eating and moving around so I'm positive she will be fine x

Did the Vet prescribe a non steroidal anti inflammatory (eg Metacam) aswell as the Baytril (antibiotic?) It sounds as though your Rabbit is showing vestibular symptoms, indicating inflammation within the central nervous system. This may be due to a middle ear infection or possibly a condition called Encephalitozoon Cuniculi (EC). Both these conditions merit treatment with a non steroidal anti- inflammatory. Also, to cover for the possibility of EC it would be advisable to treat your Rabbit with a 28 day course of Panacur, an antihelminthic drug which can help reduce the number of EC spores within the bloodstream. With EC it is the erupting spores that cause the clinical symptoms such as the 'wobbliness'.

There is a detailed description of EC here:

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&...N3ISKU&sig=AHIEtbR1V0Bkgl46nxoM3IZVX7iM5Uaz_Q

and some information about middle ear disease here:

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Neurology/Otit/otitis.htm

If the PDSA Vet has not prescribed anything but baytril maybe you could print out this advice and go back to talk with him/her again to try to obtain the appropriate ongoing treatment.

It is stressful when finances are tight and we are struggling to try to obtain appropriate Veterinary Care. Our circumstances can change and I do understand that not everyone is able to magic money out of trees to cover Vet fees. Even if that was not the case when we took the Rabbit(s) on and at that time we thought we were financially secure.

So try going back to the PDSA and see if the Vet will help :)

I agree with Jane.

If they aren't listening, you can buy the Panacur online. That still leaves you short of the metacam though, which bun would really benefit from.

No, I just got given baytril. Lola is so much better today, hopping around. Still not as bouncy but im so so pleased. We've got another appointment for the PDSA tomorrow. If I didn't feel like she was getting better I would have took her to my original vets.
I could afford it but thought I'd save money. Didn't realise the vet would be any different but clearly was x

Back