• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Worried about Phoebe..

Aly&Poppy<3

Wise Old Thumper
She's been fine all day, being her usual self but about half an hour ago she just plonked herself under the bottles and fell asleep. She used to do this in tubes and randomly in the middle of the cage, but I don't know.. This sleep seems much deeper than usual :(

We rang the vet but the guy that's on (vets open till 7, he's also the emergency vet for tonight :() tried to prolonged Aprils life (that sounds awful...) when she was dragging a huge tumour around and did nothing but spin :cry: He nearly strangled Lola too, I don't like him with my animals at all.
So at the moment I'm giving her some extra mealworms and she's had a little but of her favourite food, chicken, she just falls back to sleep.. I can't stop checking on her. Will see how she is tomorrow, will have to pack some extra gloves for the vet as she can be an angry little hamster, although mellowed with age!

This is how she's been sitting and eating things.

All I can think to try is move her somewhere warmer if the rooms a bit cold and get her some babyfood tonight if you can. Ive found its by far the best thing to feed.

Hope shes ok, I wouldnt take her to that vet either

All I can think to try is move her somewhere warmer if the rooms a bit cold and get her some babyfood tonight if you can. Ive found its by far the best thing to feed.

Hope shes ok, I wouldnt take her to that vet either

The room is warm at the moment, but it gets colder at night so I'm going to do a heatpad and put it under the cage where she is staying.

Haven't got any baby food :( but I've just given her some squished up banana. I think my bf's mom is going out in a bit so will ask her to get some :)

She's moved into one of her houses now, which has worried me because at least I could watch her when she was by the bottles!

Sending vibes for her.

How old is she?

She's approximately 18-20 months old, we adopted her when she was about 6 months old I think. So she's a good age. Over the last week or so I've seen her slow down a bit, but tonight it's just been "I'm old now, must sleep!" :( At least I'm hoping it's age.. I'm not 100% on a hybrids life span!

She's just been whizzing around her cage for about 10 minutes :roll: Still with tired looking eyes though, she had another mealworm and gobbled that up!

She's approximately 18-20 months old, we adopted her when she was about 6 months old I think. So she's a good age. Over the last week or so I've seen her slow down a bit, but tonight it's just been "I'm old now, must sleep!" :( At least I'm hoping it's age.. I'm not 100% on a hybrids life span!

She's just been whizzing around her cage for about 10 minutes :roll: Still with tired looking eyes though, she had another mealworm and gobbled that up!

My hybrid was 3 but I thInk thats unusual!

Glad shes more active, even if shes slowed down, hope she still has ages left:love:

I've had lots of hybrids in the past and find that they live shorter lives than other hamsters which is a shame :(

Sending vibes for Phoebe. x

She's been on her wheels and eating/drinking fine, also digging as usual.

She's moved spots as to where she's dropping off, I've given her some bedding in all of these new places so she stays warm. I've also now covered the upstairs levels in bedding so it is a bit cosier for her when she's on the move. Eventually she moves back downstairs into her normal house, she had some baby food this morning and made a mess, wiping the face of a hamster that wants to nibble fingers is very difficult.. :lol:

Aw, how's she doing??

Oops I posted at the same time as you :lol: She's still being Phoebe, but I've never actually had an older hamster because Hammy and April were pts way before their time because of tumours so I'm not really sure what to expect!

Bless her.

It probably is just age, 2 is about average I think for a hybrid. I once had one that made it past 4 :shock:. And then I have had a few who suddenly grew 'old' at 18 months or even younger

My 2 are slowing down a bit at the moment :( they are probably about the same age or maybe a month or 2 older and I am just making sure they have as much of their fave foods as they want really plus lots of warm cosy bedding. One of them can't even be bothered to move her food from bowl to store anymore so she buries the bowl to turn that into her store! :lol:

Vibes for the lovely Phoebe xxx

Back