• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

One rabbit

Panjanda

Alpha Buck
Hi I have recently got a four month old male rex and the breeder has said rabbits are best kept alone as they are territorial .
But the RWA says rabbits should be kept in pairs or they become stressed......... What should I do ?

Get your boy neutered if not already done and contact your nearest rescue to find him a wifey bun.
Rabbits need company, they are social animals. A breeder telling you they should live alone makes me think that person isn't a very good breeder at all if she/he doesn't know about the animals they are breeding :(
But then I dislike all breeders so :evil:

Thanks

Get your boy neutered if not already done and contact your nearest rescue to find him a wifey bun.
Rabbits need company, they are social animals. A breeder telling you they should live alone makes me think that person isn't a very good breeder at all if she/he doesn't know about the animals they are breeding :(
But then I dislike all breeders so :evil:

Well I thought they were sociable but she says they will fight, getting my boy fixed when he is five mths old as vet won't do it till them xx

I would have him neutered if not already done so and find a spayed female in a rescue to bond him with :thumb: rabbits are much happier with company

Hi there!

Most bunnies like company of their own kind. A little girl bunny for company is well worth considering. However, he would need to be neutered first. From my bunnies, at 4 months they both started to display territorial behaviour, spraying things and doing things that bunnies do and are not for polite conversation. Neutering stops all this. Bunnies can fight when first introduced but if you find a good local rescue, some are willing to help with the bonding process! Rescue bunnies have the added bonus of already being 'done' so no additional costs :)

Hope this helps and welcome to the forum :)

definitely get your bunny a companion :)

If you look around the forum you'll see most of us have rabbits happily living in pairs or groups. They are territorial but if they're neutered/spayed and bonded properly they're much happier living with another rabbit than on their own.

Spaying and neutering is expensive, but if you get your rabbit a friend from a rescue she'll come already spayed. Luckily neutering is the cheaper of the two :)

Sounds like the breeder has no clue about rabbits :evil: My bun is so much happier now he has a wifey, once he's been neutered you can find a local rescue and some of them bond for you, this is what I did. I found the rescue from a recommendation on here :)

Hi there!

Most bunnies like company of their own kind. A little girl bunny for company is well worth considering. However, he would need to be neutered first. From my bunnies, at 4 months they both started to display territorial behaviour, spraying things and doing things that bunnies do and are not for polite conversation. Neutering stops all this. Bunnies can fight when first introduced but if you find a good local rescue, some are willing to help with the bonding process! Rescue bunnies have the added bonus of already being 'done' so no additional costs :)

Hope this helps and welcome to the forum :)

Thank you, I feel so bad now :-( I thought I had done my home work and got advice and done the right thing by him!!
Vet won't neuter him yet so what do I do, wait to get a friend or get a friend but separate them for now ?

Thank you, I feel so bad now :-( I thought I had done my home work and got advice and done the right thing by him!!
Vet won't neuter him yet so what do I do, wait to get a friend or get a friend but separate them for now ?

If he's 4 months now, it wont be long before you can neuter him. Dont feel bad! I hadnt got a clue when i first got my bunny Iggy! You could start to look around for a suitable friend which could take a little while and have something lined up for when he is neutered and recovered? :)

Is he an indoor bun? I didn't get Olly a wifey until after he was neutered at 5 and a half months. Although I felt bad that he had to wait, as he was indoors he had company and attention for alot of the time and he was still perfectly content

I'm in Northamptonshire on the border of leicestershire, are there any rescue places near to me that anyone can recommend please xx

I would wait to get him neutered first and then start looking for a friend in rescue

Is he an indoor bun? I didn't get Olly a wifey until after he was neutered at 5 and a half months, although I felt bad that he had to wait, as he was indoros he had company and attention for alot of the time and he was still perfectly content

No he is an outdoor bunny but I have converted the shed for him so he has lots of room :)

I dont know about northamptonshire but I used to live in leicestershire about Hunnybunnies rescue was one my vets recommended when we were looking for a friend for Ig a few years ago. They can also help with the bonding too i think. I didnt rescue from them but have heard good things :)

No he is an outdoor bunny but I have converted the shed for him so he has lots of room :)

It's not much longer he has to wait, the main thing is he will eventually have someone. I'm sure he's still happy in his shed in the meantime, at least he has plenty of room :)

I'm in Northamptonshire on the border of leicestershire, are there any rescue places near to me that anyone can recommend please xx

I recommend honeybunnies. They don't post on here much but are on fb if you have that :)

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

Back