• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Grrr at pet plan

foxy2279

Alpha Buck
I have my rabbits insured with petplan. They are all under two years old and i have never claimed for any treatment for them.

Got my renewal through today and they have put it up by £40 a month :shock:. I don't understand it as have never claimed for treatment as there's only one with on going issues which are exempt as they were already known. Where did they pull this sum from? I am going to have to cancel as i can't afford to pay that much a month that's half my monthly allowance gone :evil: .

Call them, it's likely a mistake, £40/mo is more than I paid for 2 over 2 months!

Which reminds me, I need to call and cancel Ginger's :(

My premiums shot up - think it is due to the age of my rabbits (certainly can't be because of claims, as I've never claimed on one of the policies). How old are your rabbits - and how many rabbits does the extra £40 cover? I considered cancelling, but I know rabbits can incur huge vet bills, so decided to carry on. Think I also have to pay a percentage of the vet bill, too, but need to check on that.

My premium shot up - think it is due to the age of my rabbits (certainly can't be because of claims, as I've never claimed on one of the policies). How old are your rabbits - and how many rabbits does the extra £40 cover? I considered cancelling, but I know rabbits can incur huge vet bills, so decided to carry on. Think I also have to pay a percentage of the vet bill, too, but need to check on that.

£50 excess here, Biscuit's 4 this year, Ginger would have been 4 this year - they were £10.60/mo each.

Ginger has had over £2000 claimed in the 3 years here and Biscuit about £300.

Call them, it's likely a mistake, £40/mo is more than I paid for 2 over 2 months!

Which reminds me, I need to call and cancel Ginger's :(

Thank you i have rung them and they are looking into it. Sorry to have this remind you :love:

My premiums shot up - think it is due to the age of my rabbits (certainly can't be because of claims, as I've never claimed on one of the policies). How old are your rabbits - and how many rabbits does the extra £40 cover? I considered cancelling, but I know rabbits can incur huge vet bills, so decided to carry on. Think I also have to pay a percentage of the vet bill, too, but need to check on that.

I have four altogether. The boys are 2 in april. Belle is 2 sometimes in summer i think and Bramble is 2 in December. On the paperwork it says £20 a rabbit. Which seems extreme to me. Considering i have never claimed and all are healthy. I was paying £36 for all four which seemed fair.

Have now had chance to look at paperwork:

Bobby dob April 2007 - Excess has jumped from £80 to £110
Sable dob Nov 2007 - Excess has jumped from £65 to £95 (have never claimed)

Joint premium was £26 something and is now £30.20.

Can't decide whether I will continue at renewal time.

Mine jumped up when I moved house. Excess went from £50 to £80 and premiums from about 9 each to 13 each. Approx prices, don't know the actual amounts. It wasn't the premiums that was the killer, it was the excess. Barney is 5 and I claim more than I spend on the insurance for him, so I didn't mind at all. Annabella is only 2 though and never ill, so I stopped her policy and just pay £14 for Barney now.

£40 seems an awful lot :shock:, it has to be a mistake, i'd phone and query it :?

mabels excess is something like 75pound so whenever she goes vets can never claim anything back but I can't complain as with sox they have been great and he is covered for life for his ongoing care

I have my bunnies insured through helpucover. Each bun is £7.45 per month with a £45 excess .

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Have now had chance to look at paperwork:

Bobby dob April 2007 - Excess has jumped from £80 to £110
Sable dob Nov 2007 - Excess has jumped from £65 to £95 (have never claimed)

Joint premium was £26 something and is now £30.20.

Can't decide whether I will continue at renewal time.

Whoo that excess is looking scary:? My highest is £100 for a six year old. Frighteningly all but one my older bunnies 4 does around age 6 and a buck of 7 are insured with Pet Plan so that it likely to be what I'll be facing on renewal.

My only senior bunny insured with Pets at Home is Dinky and her premium didn't go up between 5 and 6 and has remained at about £80 with £75 excess.

I don't think I'd have the courage to not have insurance but must admit to being tempted as I see the premiums/excess rise.... then I remember Esme cost £500 for one stasis episode which could happen at any time

I have my rabbits insured with petplan. They are all under two years old and i have never claimed for any treatment for them.

Got my renewal through today and they have put it up by £40 a month :shock:. I don't understand it as have never claimed for treatment as there's only one with on going issues which are exempt as they were already known. Where did they pull this sum from? I am going to have to cancel as i can't afford to pay that much a month that's half my monthly allowance gone :evil: .

Though a lot of us have experienced premium rises this is outrageous! I really hope it's a mistake, a small rise is one thing but that's very steep! Even more shocking with the age of the rabbits in question.

Last edited:
Hmm this is actually an interesting thread. Our Petplan excess used to be £50 and this past year or so it's jumped up to £75. I thought it was just general increases with Petplan overall, not by policy basis.

We have claimed, yes, but so has Graham yet his excess is only £45. Are you with Petplan Graham?! If so then I really don't understand :lol:

That £40 increase does sound ridiculous though, we only pay £11ish per rabbit a month.

Back