• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help needed with coat!!!

~Chey~

Young Bun
I recently uploaded a post asking if it was normal for my rabbit to me moulting as much as he is. Tonights cuddles he let me groom him with a brush and pull out the dead hair as i was doing this i saw a big bald patch on his back. Most of the surrounding hair is falling out just from smoothing him, pulling away so easy (im not trying to get it out).
There is a coat growing in underneath which you can see from the images.
Im really worried about him this obviously isn't normal! i dont believe its from stress hes got a perfect diet LOADS of room to free run and a mansion of a bunny house with different levels filled with toys. Its almost like hes moulting but his hair isn't growing back quick enough (just around the back area. Any help would be greatly received! Worried bunny mommy :cry::cry::cry:

(Whitey hair is coming away)

It is possible that he is just in extreme moult. Buns can get bald spots sometimes when they seem to moult out the fur that's there before the new fur has even begun to grow in :shock:

It doesn't look inflamed from the pictures but if it is inflamed or if there is any dandruff anywhere on him he could do with a vet visit. Check for dandruff on the back of his neck as that is where it commonly gathers and it is a sign of mites.

My Poppy went through a mega moult last year and a large patch of her bun (similar area actually) came out in one grooming session when the new fur underneath was only a few millimetres long, since she is a lion head she has long thick fur and she looked hilarious with a patch of short fur, plus she felt like velvet :love:

Plus you should see my Thor moult, he does the whole thing in about 2 days and never looks a mess, he simply seems to explode with fur :shock: you stroke him and it's seriously like a fur explosion in the room and there is fur EVERYWHERE :shock: moulting bunnies can be so dramatic :roll:

Last edited:
Not inflamed and no flakey skin ect clean ears. Done all those checks! Should I keep grooming him through this stage then? How long does it take for the next coat to come through? How strange! There is a new coat starting to come through slowly but surely which can be seen in the images, was worried about his bare bum area! I was just saying to my friend I was surprised he hasn't grown in an 'adult' coat yet haha, I don't suppose he's too far off a year now! I can sleep easy tonight then 😊

Yeah has happened with a few of my buns :)
looks so soft!!

i had to do a trim of my lionheads chops today :shock: she only had a trim like last month. :lol:

If you run your hand along his spine going against the direction of fur growth can you see any small flecks of white 'dandruff' ? Also look carefully all around the base of his spine where it meets his tail. It could be that he does have a 'low grade' mite infestation and he may be overgrooming in certain places. His coat does look a bit 'harsh' but that may simply be because he is having a heavy moult.

As you've had him a year now, is he due his vaccination or 6 monthly check-up soon? If he is, would be worth moving it up a bit and get him checked for mites. I always think better safe than sorry, but I wouldn't worry about it.

As for when he will stop moulting, it depends on the bun, many indoor buns moult almost constantly because of the unnatural way we heat our homes. My outdoor bun Annabella moults 2-3 times a year properly, with mini-moults whenever the weather changes drastically. My outdoor bun Barney moults almost constantly, I think there was only a total of about 3 weeks that he wasn't moulting last year, but it gets extremely heavy when the temperature changes.

I couldn't see any flakey skin/dandruff anywhere last night whilst grooming. Do I just leave it to fall out naturally? It's coming out so much and quickly anyway looks like I've killed something after having him out for free run and cuddles :lol:
How long will it take for his new fur to grow in?
The newer coat underneath which is only a few mm long if that is super soft, different in texture (slightly) and darker in colour. Should I be worrying that, that coat hasn't come I'm all over his body yet?

Yes I've been wondering about the vets! He's probably a couple on months off 1 so not in a major hurry but need to check with them when I did get him vaccinated as it all happened the day after I brought him home.

Thank you for such quick replies!

Back