• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Two does, two litters.

Emma J B

Young Bun
If two does living together both produce litters at the same time, can they be left together? A friend has discovered two surprise litters. The dad (who was thought to be a third girl) has been removed and booked in for the snip! Just need to know if it's ok to leave the mums and babies all in together. They are in a big shed with plenty of room and the nests are separate. Obviously don't want to move them unless she has to.

I would leave them together but be vigilant re any signs of aggression and also check the nests daily. This can be done whilst the Does are out of the shed so as to cause them minimal stress.

If the Buck was with the Does when they kindled they may both be pregnant again already. So another 2 litters could arrive in about 30-32 days time.

The Buck can remain fertile for up to 6 weeks after castration.

This thread contains useful advice :

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?327923-Accidental-Litters-and-Taking-on-Babies

I've done it and it was fine, but the does were mother and daughter, had a strong bond and had a big stable so they could get away from each other if they wanted. If they have loads of space and separate hidey places and get along well I'd keep an eye on it but leave them together, personally. But if they get territorial towards each other you do risk losing the kits, so it does need keeping an eye on. It goes without saying that you need to keep the male separately until 8 weeks after neutering and all kits are able to fend for themselves and your friend has created the final grouping (as in, rehomed any she cannot keep).

Thanks guys. She's got the male in for the snip today and will get the does done as soon as babies are old enough. I will help her all I can but I don't have an awful lot of experience of babies as my buns are all neutered/spayed. Thanks for your help.

Back