• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

dog crate question

countrybumkin

Warren Scout
So after Poppy has been spayed (3 weeks on Monday) I plan on moving her into her pen in the dining room full time. My parents have a large dog crate that is no longer in use that they have said I can have. Obviously before Poppy has it it will be thoroughly cleaned and everything but when I have been looking on the housing threads I have noticed people take out the base already in it and put wood in. Do you have to do this and if so why? I'm thinking a large/soft door mat or bath mat will cover the base of it and then within it there will be a hidey hole box.

thank you

When I used the dog cage the metal floor was really noisy if he thumped you could hear it through the house or even if he jumped off anything. I covered it with rugs but I could see why you would replace it with wood. Also the metal would get very cold.

The one i'm getting has a lovely thick plastic bottom (which can be removed) which I was going to cover with rugs. Would you say the plastic bottom will be ok?

A plastic tray will be much warmer to sit on than a metal one, and just as easy to clean. The edges may get some decorative nibbles, though. I would leave the tray in as it will keep a lot of the mess in one area and protect the floor underneath. Just cover it in something suitable - I use newspaper with a litter tray of hay at one end, then you can just roll up the newspaper to clean it out.

Mine has a plastic tray because the ones with steel tray was sold out :lol: I put a 3 pound primark throw over it and she's totally fine with that.
She does try to dig :lol:

I have one with plastic and one with metal, both I put blankets/towels on anyway, the metal one is noisy!

Fantastic :) no major diy needed!

I've been eyeing up some nice doormats tonight (soft ones) so I'll get them to cover the plastic tray

thank you :)

Back