• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Dizzi & Rascal both unwell

Bitzy-B

Mama Doe
........... but the vet isn't sure what the problem is.

A couple of days ago they went off their pellets but were eating everything else ....now they're off their hay too so I took them to the vets this afty.

It's not good news.

They both have very high temperatures and now Dizzi has started with a discharge from her nose (this wasn't happening last night and Rascal doesn't have any discharge).

Earlier today they were both eating veggies and herbs with great gusto but since we've got back from the vets they're just picking tiny bits of things, so it looks like I'll have to start syringe feeding them soon.

Vet has given them pain killers and antibiotics, she said she'd leave the gut stimulant until tomorrow as they were eating (prior to going to the vets).

She's on call tonight so said if they don't perk up to give her a ring later.

She also warned me that with such high temperatures, there is a risk of sudden death.

I've brought them indoors so I can monitor them properly (no heating on) and they have another appointment tomorrow evening. I will be staying up with them through the night but have to go to work tomorrow (OH will be home though).

I've laid out all their favourite hay, readigrass, herbs and veggies and I'm just praying they perk up a bit.

Vet reckons its either something they've both eaten (ie dodgy hay bale) or is something infectious as they both have it.

I just don't know what to do!

I cant suggest anything but want to send loads of noserubs and healing vibes to them both..

And a hug for you too

Fee xxx

Oh dear :cry:

Are they both up to date with their vaccinations ?

I do hope that the abx will kick in quickly and that you will see some improvement xx

Thanks for all the vibes.

They're both eating a bit better but Dizzi's ears are very warm .... I've tried cooling her down with a cold flannel which seemed to help last night but isn't having any effect this morning.

But they both seem a tad livelier..... Our appt today isn't until 5:20 as I have to go to work (OH is on bunny watch) but I'm going to see if I can take some leave and get them in earlier.

Thanks so much for asking xx

Not Dizzi and Rascal :(

Could their be any mould spores in the hay? Can you rip the bale apart and take a look?

Hope this gets sorted quickly Jo x

Not Dizzi and Rascal :(

Could their be any mould spores in the hay? Can you rip the bale apart and take a look?

Hope this gets sorted quickly Jo x

Thanks all.

Got to work, burst into tears and promptly got sent home so I've managed to get them in with the vet at 10.15 ... not the same vet we saw y'day (but she is in the building, operating, so is available for consultation with the vet we're seeing today if need be).

I wondered about the baled hay so stopped giving it to them on Wednesday evening and they've only had bagged since .. Just been out and ripped it apart but I can't really see anything unusual.

Last edited:
Hi guys

Quick update, been back to the vets with the bunnies this morning (and again I burst into tears ......oh the shame)!

After following their advice and cooling the bunnie ears with a cold wet flannel to bring their temps down a bit .... it would appear that it is now a bit on the low side so I've been told to supply a heat source for them ... they're indoors at the moment (heating off) so have given them their snugglesafes so they can move away from them if they get too hot.

Rascal now has a discharge from his nose as well as Dizzi.

They're still not sure what it is but have sent us home with meds and recovery food.

So we just have to see how we get on.

Still keeping everything crossed.

Thanks again for all your well wishes and vibes.

Jo x

Thank you.

I'm going to ditch the baled hay and totally disinfect their hutch and run whilst they're indoors, just in case its some sort of bacteria or something!?! (no idea what mind but it will make me feel better knowing I've done it).

Can anyone suggest a good bunny friendly disinfectant?

They're litter trained so I usually bleach (and rinse very well) their litter trays and then use a spray made up of vinegar and water for the other hutch areas.

Anyone got any ideas what it could be?

Symptoms:
Off their food (very selective feeding) - teeth checked and are ok.
Teeny tiny poops (but then they're not eating much hay at the moment, mostly just veggies and herbs)
Lethargic (just sat hunched up)
High body temp then given Metacam and baytril - now low-ish body temp
Discharge from their noses

Thanks, Jo x

It all points to some kind of infection, i'd be concerned about the fact temp was high and now too low, along with the discharge pointing to some kind of infection.

Cleaning wise, bleach solution, well rinsed and then vinegaring is great in my opinion :thumb: F10 is a veterinary disinfectant if you can get hold of it, its really cheap too.

Sorry to hear this, I know how stressful it is to have a poorly bun or two :(

Back