• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Long haired Rabbits as outdoor pets?

tabithakat64

Mama Doe
Can long haired bunnies be kept outdoors or should they always be kept inside due to possible issues with matting?

Any tips for keeping long haired rabbits to stop the tangles (other than daily brushing)

My double maned lionhead lives outdoors - aslong as you brush them daily they are fine. I do trim him a bit in the summer to help keep him cool, but he obviously has his summer coat then so isn't as fluffy anyway.

I find a wide comb easier than a brush.

My lionheads are mostly outside. They get a thorough combing through about once a week. Shavings and similar substrates are bad for getting tangled in longer fur. I use newspapers on the floor of hutches with hay in litter trays. If they are out on soil / grass etc, you may need to groom under their feet back more regularly as they do get filthy and matted quite quickly. All mine hate their big furry feet being combed through, but they really do need it.

Outside runs will need more shelter from rain as big fluffy coats don't do wet very well.

I do find that their coats vary a lot through the year. They can also moult a lot more as their coats are much thicker than indoor bunnies- so when they lose it, the pile of fur can be huge after a good grooming session. Summer coats are much easier to manage but winter coats make for really cuddly buns.

Thanks for the replies, I was thinking of using woodpellets that break down into sawdust, would this still get stuck in their fur do you all think?

Yes it will - I use newspaper with hay in the trays too. These two boys are both double maned and madly hairy :lol:

null_zpse4d23b6d.jpg

null_zps1e6f5264.jpg

I keep my double maned lionhead outside, she despises her twice weekly brushes but actually doesnt mat up in that time. She is on slabs for her run and she has newspaper, hay and fleece for bedding. She is very clean thankfully and the fleece I feel is softer on her feetsies and warmer in winter without the matting risk.

Back