• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Charlotte :( Again? EVERY TIME??

Gemmapookie

Wise Old Thumper
She's moulting and EVERY SINGLE time she ends up going into stasis at least once. It's auwful, I knew it was coming as soon as she started 2 days ago, woke up this morning to her not eating and tummy pressing :(

What can I do to prevent it???

Any vibes much appreciated x

Poor girl :cry:

Do you groom her 2-3 times a day during a moult ? Especially around the base of her tail/flanks.

Also, does she ingest a lot of paper/cardboard or nibble at fabric ? I have learned that stasis prone Rabbits are best kept well away from all 3 at all times. They tend to eat even more of the stuff when they feel their guts are sluggish. So then they just make everything worse.

Maximising her fluid and crude fibre intake would also be beneficial.

I hope she feels beeter soon xx

I groom her once or twice a day (which she HATES!) and they don't have access to any cardboard. Their bed is fabric and she does sometimes dig at it but I don't think she eats it. Wondering if to remove it anyway? They do love their soft bed though :roll:

Is there anything I can give her when she starts moulting as a preventative measure?

I gave her some Metacam an hour ago and she's been having tummy rubs and snuggles on a warm water bottle and she seems to be picking up, is tentatively nibbling some hay :) fingers crossed.

No advice on the moulting specifically, but I can definitely recommend peppermint tea for stasis prevention. It may or may not help - seems to help soothe the gut anyway, and maybe even keep it moving.

No advice on the moulting specifically, but I can definitely recommend peppermint tea for stasis prevention. It may or may not help - seems to help soothe the gut anyway, and maybe even keep it moving.

Thanks Sarah. I usually give her cooled peppermint tea when she goes into stasis to help prevent bloat (didn't have any this time round though) but never thought of using it as a preventative.
Problem with Charlotte is she HATES being handled and I don't think she'd drink it off her own back. I'll def put some out for her though :wave:

Well little miss "I'm at deaths door" seems to have rallied thank goodness. 90% of the time the Metacam, warm water/peppermint tea, tummy rubs and hot water bottle routine gets her out of it :)

I on the other hand have a coldsore trying to rear it's ugly head, and missed my important French class to look after her! :roll:

Thanks Sarah. I usually give her cooled peppermint tea when she goes into stasis to help prevent bloat (didn't have any this time round though) but never thought of using it as a preventative.
Problem with Charlotte is she HATES being handled and I don't think she'd drink it off her own back. I'll def put some out for her though :wave:

My bunnies hated anything with a peppermint taste, including the tea, unfortunately!

Glad Charlotte is feeling better. I've bought some 'HealthyBites - hairball remedy' treats for Spenser's next moult, but these haven't been tried yet.

Glad Charlotte is feeling better. I've bought some 'HealthyBites - hairball remedy' treats for Spenser's next moult, but these haven't been tried yet.

Ooh please let me know how he does with them, I'm prepared to try anything to stop it from happening :(

She seems good this evening, eating loads of hay as I type :thumb:

I would also have recommended regular grooming but you already do this, does she lick at fabric or rugs like grooming them or your other bunnies, I often find going over our rug with a rubber brush pics up quite abit of mabels moulting hair each day im glad she has perked up :wave:

have you ever tried abit of pineapple juice water down to keep guts moving when sluggish

I would also have recommended regular grooming but you already do this, does she lick at fabric or rugs like grooming them or your other bunnies, I often find going over our rug with a rubber brush pics up quite abit of mabels moulting hair each day im glad she has perked up :wave:

have you ever tried abit of pineapple juice water down to keep guts moving when sluggish

Thankyou :wave:

She doesn't lick at anything fabric but she does groom Max. I'm pretty sure it's grooming herself when she's moulting that's the problem though.
Perhaps I should groom her even more than I already do, but it's already an ordeal because she just hates being handled. She's so sweet and loves a stroke but pick her up or put a brush near her and she turns into demon rabbit :roll:
She's not a fan of pineapple annoyingly so again I'd have to catch her and syringe it to her which she'd hate :(

Difficult little Madame :lol::love:

Same problem with my Bun Boris. Every moult, he gets a bout of stasis. Tried regular brushing, which he tolerated and then developed a habit of peeing on my lap when I did it :roll: Looks like I need to pick up some peppermint tea for when he next goes into moult after reading this thread!

Back