• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Wet behind - shaving fur an option??

dbowes

Warren Scout
Hi,

Jessica was diagnosed with hip arthritis so we have had to make some adjustments to the setup (along with metacam for pain relief).

The cage has a doorway cut in and now has a ramp up to the cat litter tray we have. The litter tray has a grate/grid over it so any business drops in to the bag. We have had the litter tray this way for a couple of years and it works really well as not only is it easy to clean (throw away bag and replace) it also means she doesn't get her behind wet now she has arthritis.

Pre-diagnosis she lost her litter training (understandable now) and at times was getting her behind wet. Now she is back to 95% litter trained so it is less of a problem but the odd mishap can still happen. I think when she wees on the floor she manages to brush her backside as she is moving away. We will continue to try and re-train her but for when she does get messy we have found bathing her and drying her a nightmare, her fur is just so dense. I've found cutting her hair down helps a lot with the process which gave me the idea of trimming her with some kind of pet clippers. I dont intend to remove all hair - just keep it a short manageable length.

Has anyone tried this? Anything to consider? I know stress is an issue but we can see how she copes.

Thanks

Last edited:
Yes, shaving the underside is a good way to manage bunnies that are getting damp, with less fur they are easier to clean and dry out easier. Although getting a shave is a little stressful I think it's balanced by the fact you can swap needing a bath for just having a wipe over with a damp cloth. It also means you can check the skin more easily.

A vet or groomer can do the shave for you. Rabbit's skin is very thin so you do need to be careful with the clippers.

Yes, shaving the underside is a good way to manage bunnies that are getting damp, with less fur they are easier to clean and dry out easier. Although getting a shave is a little stressful I think it's balanced by the fact you can swap needing a bath for just having a wipe over with a damp cloth. It also means you can check the skin more easily.

A vet or groomer can do the shave for you. Rabbit's skin is very thin so you do need to be careful with the clippers.

Thanks i will try tonight - will regular hair clippers work? Her fur is so thick and dense I am wondering if the clippers will just pack in.

I've a feeling there are some blades that work better than other, but I'm not sure which is best as I've only had a vet do it for me.

I'm sure someone will know though :)

Back