• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit honking?!?

Jacqueline122

Warren Scout
I can't really explain the noise my rabbit makes but it's like a honk or when someone sneezes without opening their mouth? Not a squeak but more of a honky grunt :lol:

I've only noticed this noise in the past few days but I recently moved her in to the main house instead of the outhouse.

Does anybody else's rabbits make this noise & explain to me what it is or why she's doing it?

Honking is usually associated with happiness which can come in many forms. Neutered and especially un-neutered bunnies do this usually when they are 'in the mood!' If your bunny is circling your feet at the same time, this really does mean that they are feeling fruity!!! Sometimes they might follow up such behaviour by spraying you too. They are marking their territory when they do this. Not a pleasant thing to have happen to you.....but un-neutered bunnies are more prone to doing this than neutered bunnies. In my experience of owing and caring for bunnies over the years, if they feel the need to spray....they will.

Not all rabbits honk but some do and I find they get particularly honky when they are hormonal and circling legs etc.

Other rabbits do it when they are excited or happy to see you. Bobby doesn't honk although he did before he was neutered. He stopped soon after.

Rosie is a very honky bun and still does it all the time. She honks when its feeding time and honks when she is looking for Bobby and then finds him :love: I think honking is really endearing and I wouldn't worry about it ;) x

Little does this when I pick her up. In my case she's saying 'Noooooooooo you caught me!! Mummy I hate you put me down!!!!'

Olly makes a kind of snorting noise sometimes when we are feeding him and he gets a bit over excited. Not sure if this is classed as honking?

I know the noise you mean. Jasper usually does this followed by a run and a thump when he isn't happy about something. Often when he is startled for whatever reason or thinks im trying to get hold of him. Different to above but I've never associated it with a physical problem - just a mood thing.

Basically she's telling me that she's happy when I leave her alone to relax :lol:

Good to know it's nothing to worry about! Thank you :)

Willow and Buffy used to honk when they were humping! Before they got spayed that is.

Since then its mainly at feeding time, when I'm holding a bowl full of food and they are running around my feet trying to trip me up that I hear it. So must be excitement.

Such a funny noise when you arent used to it :)

My little man did this before he was neutered, he wouod run around my feet honking like a little piggy :lol: he stopped after neutered.
I dont think Coo has ever honked.

Olly makes a kind of snorting noise sometimes when we are feeding him and he gets a bit over excited. Not sure if this is classed as honking?

It might be a little grunt? Rosie grunts a little when eating. It's her way of telling me " these are my noms, back off mummy" !!! Lol :)

Sent from my GT-I9001 using Tapatalk 2

Yuri does this when excited, been given food she likes or when angry and thumping

Scamps only does it when angry lol

My Lola is such a honker! Honks if I'm in her way, honks for treats, honks when running around. Cute really :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Back