• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Should I stop carrying him and use a box instead?

I have a wonderful "little" Flemish Giant who is 2 or 3 months old (according to the breeder I bought him from, he was not entirely sure).
I have only had him for a few days, and he has a great temper.

When I bring him inside and put him on the couch he spends quite a while playing, exploring, cuddling and sometimes when he is tired he´ll sleep next to me or even do a "bunny flop" and fling himself on his side and stretch before taking a powernap. He nips me at times, but I am working on it - He seems to be getting that it hurts because I "EEEEEK!" when he bites me, but he´s just a baby after all, and not all that quick on the uptake! ;)

Anyways, my problem is the fact that I *have* to carry him to get him inside (His "home" is a 2,5 x 1,5 aviary in my garden with a 1,5 x 1,5 insulated indoor area) and he is not all that thrilled about being carried. In order to catch him, I have to lock him inside the indoor area and then grab him gently but firmly when he is cornered or he gives up and just presses himself against the ground in front of me, scared.

I feel like this is wrong because it is his home, and me invading it like that seems fairly rude (He thinks so too, he grunted at me today!) but I do not know how else to catch him: If I try doing it outside in the aviary, he´ll take me on a chase and work himself into a tiny fit, and it is no fun for either of us.

He NEVER scratches me or tries to bite me when I pick him up, and I do pick him up the right way, he just does not like it all that much.
I can sit/lie down in his aviary with him hopping all over me, and even reach down to pet him when he is in the indoor area, and I can put my hands on his sides, but when I go for the correct lift under chest and bum, he goes: "Oh god not again!" and flees to just outside my reach.
I think this may be because the breeder picked all the bunnies up by their hind-legs so they just hung there like a fish on a hook.. Bad experience?

My question is this: I have a carrying case for cats, should I teach him to jump inthere when I need to carry him inside, at least until we build more trust between us? Or should I keep carrying him and hope he someday gets used to it?

I do the "carry exercises" for him when he is inside with me - lift his chest and bum a bit until he get´s used to it, but so far he seems to think it means "Move backwards" and "move forwards" and not "let me lift you" .

I bring him inside twice a day for 15-20 minutes depending on his mood and he seems to enjoy the company.
Any advice would be more than welcome :D

P.S: Before you ask, no he is not walking on tiles, the outdoor area has metal plates buried under the walls and one big one buried 1 meter down, so he has 1 meter of pure earth to dig straight down into, and the indoor area is a wooden floor with rabbit safe-sawdust covering it.

The breeder wants shooting! I am sorry but everyone will agree with me, NEVER pick a bunny up by his hind legs any legs for that matter. Does he breed for market I wonder? Yes this would be an awful experience for a bunny and I can't believe either that he/she wasn't sure how old he is. You always know how old babies are, you know the exact day they were born!

Anyway, back to your questions, yes I think it would be a good idea to get him used to a pet carrier, it's usually easier to catch them in one and he will probably prefer it.

At this time of year, winter, it is not a good idea to bring outdoor rabbits in and out as it can give them respiratory problems.

I hope your bunny settles in well and becomes a nice pet.

The breeder wants shooting! I am sorry but everyone will agree with me, NEVER pick a bunny up by his hind legs any legs for that matter. Does he breed for market I wonder? Yes this would be an awful experience for a bunny and I can't believe either that he/she wasn't sure how old he is. You always know how old babies are, you know the exact day they were born!

Anyway, back to your questions, yes I think it would be a good idea to get him used to a pet carrier, it's usually easier to catch them in one and he will probably prefer it.

At this time of year, winter, it is not a good idea to bring outdoor rabbits in and out as it can give them respiratory problems.

I hope your bunny settles in well and becomes a nice pet.

This!

Enjoy your lovely "little" bunny. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a fact that bunnies don't really like being picked up, so I think it's really what would be easiest for you and your bunny really. My friend has a Giant and has rarely been able to pick her up, she mainly uses a carrier (less stress for both involved). However, I pick my (smaller) rabbits up virtually on a daily basis, but this is because I like to get them used to being handled for health checks, nail clipping and Vet visits.

It may not be possible to get him to use the carrier you use for your cats due to their scent; rabbits and cats are normally enemies with the rabbit being the cat's lunch or play thing. Also, if either were ill you wouldn't want to inadvertently pass germs on to the other. Or mites, or fly/flea eggs etc.

You may therefore need to invest in a new one.

Wow, you're way more considerate than I am :lol:

My routine for taking Little anywhere (she'll never voluntarily get in a box, she has to be manhandled in) is to chase he round her room thirty times while she stamps her little feet at me then sort of pin her down by her bum and scoop her.

:shock: I've just realised how brutal that sounds!! It's not that bad honestly!! :lol:

It may not be possible to get him to use the carrier you use for your cats due to their scent; rabbits and cats are normally enemies with the rabbit being the cat's lunch or play thing. Also, if either were ill you wouldn't want to inadvertently pass germs on to the other. Or mites, or fly/flea eggs etc.

You may therefore need to invest in a new one.

I did buy it for my bunny to take him home in and for future vet visits (I do hope I´ll never have much use for it, but the gentleman does need to get neutered when he is older) - Thing is, a bunny carrier seemed too small for him, so I chose to buy a cat carrier instead. It is brand new ;)

I did buy it for my bunny to take him home in and for future vet visits (I do hope I´ll never have much use for it, but the gentleman does need to get neutered when he is older) - Thing is, a bunny carrier seemed too small for him, so I chose to buy a cat carrier instead. It is brand new ;)

That sounds great then, hopefully you can tempt him into the carrier with treats when you need to. He's probably had bad experiences from the breeder as you mentioned, and really rabbits don't like being held - they're ground animals, and prey animals. I think a carrier is definitely the way to go as long as he's co-operative! You could always look into clicker training. As well as neutering he'll also need an annual vaccination that costs around £25 maximum, just to mention that in case you weren't aware.

The thing is though, it's not advisable to bring an outdoor rabbit in unless absolutely necessary (i.e. it's very poorly), especially in winter. The frequent change from cold to warm can and does cause terrible respiratory problems such as snuffles (which sounds fairly tame, but is actually a horrible illness). I definitely understand how rubbish it is to have outdoor bunnies when it's this cold (I feel I never get to spend any time with my 2, and it's just too cold to sit out there for any length of time) but I'm afraid it's not healthy to bring him in - especially twice a day. It also means that he likely won't be growing a proper winter coat and so he risks the danger of freezing to death on cold nights, especially since he's a single bunny.

You say he lives in a 2.5 x 1.5 enclosure with a 1.5 x 1.5 run - is that in feet or metres? If that's metres that's an amazing indoor area :love: 8 x nearly 5 foot - very jealous! The digging area sounds like amazing fun for him, and it's fantastic that you've buried plates to stop anyone digging in/out! Just an idea for inside though - if you lay lino/vinyl flooring and litter train him, it'll be a lot easier to clean up after him. It may be harder to litter train until after his neuter though. Still, it's worth doing it now imo as it protects the shed floor and will make it last longer. There's a lot of controversy about wood shavings - the phenols that they can release when urinated on are dangerous and can cause respiratory problems too. Personally I just wouldn't want to risk it as there are plenty of just as cheap alternatives which don't cause respiratory problems. This would personally worry me quite a lot combined with the potential for developing respiratory problems due to bringing him in often. There's lots of horse beddings such as fitch and megazorb which are perfect for use as a substrate on a floor or as a substrate for litter trays, if you fancy looking into changing over? It's worth looking into imo, they're often more economical than wood shavings too as they're so absorbant.

Perhaps a good compromise is to save up for a large outdoor run? The welfare hutch company do 3 foot high runs which are suitable for giants so they can periscope: http://www.welfarehutches.co.uk/3ft_high_runs/cat1466126_1727923.aspx. The 10 x 6 is great, and they'll do bigger/smaller/exact sizes if you request it :)

Last edited:
The carry case would be fine for the trip indoors, and as he sounds like he enjoys playing indoor I think once you got into a routine he could probably learn to jump in/out.

I do think it would be a good idea to continue practising picking up though, it's a handy thing to be able to do in the long term, from lifting a bun out from somewhere they shouldn't be to if he needs meds in future etc.

It might be the routine of knowing you are coming outside to pick him up means he gets into the mindset of something scary is about to happen and avoiding that situation and working on it inside without the existing associations will workout better for practising anyway.

I often use a cat carrier for Poppy. When I first got her, like you catching her was a bit of a nightmare and I didn't want it to become a negative experience for her so I bought a cat carrier. She soon learnt to hop in it (treats helped) and although she is now much better and being caught she sometimes decides shes not in the mood to be picked up and hops into her carrier and gives me the ''I'd like to be moved like this today please mummy''.

Your cat carrier options sounds perfect and I'd recommend that :)

That sounds great then, hopefully you can tempt him into the carrier with treats when you need to. He's probably had bad experiences from the breeder as you mentioned, and really rabbits don't like being held - they're ground animals, and prey animals. I think a carrier is definitely the way to go as long as he's co-operative! You could always look into clicker training. As well as neutering he'll also need an annual vaccination that costs around £25 maximum, just to mention that in case you weren't aware.

The thing is though, it's not advisable to bring an outdoor rabbit in unless absolutely necessary (i.e. it's very poorly), especially in winter. The frequent change from cold to warm can and does cause terrible respiratory problems such as snuffles (which sounds fairly tame, but is actually a horrible illness). I definitely understand how rubbish it is to have outdoor bunnies when it's this cold (I feel I never get to spend any time with my 2, and it's just too cold to sit out there for any length of time) but I'm afraid it's not healthy to bring him in - especially twice a day. It also means that he likely won't be growing a proper winter coat and so he risks the danger of freezing to death on cold nights, especially since he's a single bunny.

You say he lives in a 2.5 x 1.5 enclosure with a 1.5 x 1.5 run - is that in feet or metres? If that's metres that's an amazing indoor area :love: 8 x nearly 5 foot - very jealous! The digging area sounds like amazing fun for him, and it's fantastic that you've buried plates to stop anyone digging in/out! Just an idea for inside though - if you lay lino/vinyl flooring and litter train him, it'll be a lot easier to clean up after him. It may be harder to litter train until after his neuter though. Still, it's worth doing it now imo as it protects the shed floor and will make it last longer. There's a lot of controversy about wood shavings - the phenols that they can release when urinated on are dangerous and can cause respiratory problems too. Personally I just wouldn't want to risk it as there are plenty of just as cheap alternatives which don't cause respiratory problems. This would personally worry me quite a lot combined with the potential for developing respiratory problems due to bringing him in often. There's lots of horse beddings such as fitch and megazorb which are perfect for use as a substrate on a floor or as a substrate for litter trays, if you fancy looking into changing over? It's worth looking into imo, they're often more economical than wood shavings too as they're so absorbant.

Perhaps a good compromise is to save up for a large outdoor run? The welfare hutch company do 3 foot high runs which are suitable for giants so they can periscope: http://www.welfarehutches.co.uk/3ft_high_runs/cat1466126_1727923.aspx. The 10 x 6 is great, and they'll do bigger/smaller/exact sizes if you request it :)
It is 2,5 x 1,5 meters yes, I wanted him to have enough room to run about a bit.
I shall definitely look into the whole "indoor - outdoor" thing, I would rather not make him sick just because we love having him on the couch.

Is it really that dangerous? He does have a nice, warm house and lots of straw outside if he is cold, and it´s not *that* cold here in Denmark. Maybe if we turned down the heating a bit so it´s not as warm when we bring him inside?

As for the run, we are buying one for him this summer, but probably from a pet store here in Denmark, it´s incredibly expensive to import stuff from the UK.
He´ll also be going on walks when he is big enough: I bought a harness for medium-sized dogs :lol:

Last edited:
A lot of rabbits don't like to be picked up especially giant breeds due to their size and feeling unsafe. The breeder you got him from sounds awful :( I transport my giants in a carrier rather than pick them up, although I have a established relationship with Teddy where he will come when I call him (usually because he knows I have food!!) :lol:

Are you planning on having him vaccinated? Are you in the uk as if you are is important to have he combi vaccs for myxomatosis and VHD annually

Back