• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Has anyone gone from carpet to hard flooring???

moi

Mama Doe
Im thinking of removing the carpet from the bunnys outhouse. Purely because its a nightmare to clean up the scattered bits of hay etc and its clogging my hoover. My only concern is Tonic, when he comes into my living room he'll only stand on the rug as he doesn't like the wooden flooring. The floor under the carpet is like hard tiles if that makes sense x

I had all my carpets removed and vinolay fitted. I have 8 rabbits on this and they are all quite happy. I've also got lino in the sheds and it never poses a problem for the rabbits.

We did when we moved in, although not for the rabbits - it was because I didn't see how kids + food + wee + all the other mess children make could possibly work on a carpetted floor. We have wood effect vinyl in the living room and it's great for ease of cleaning and not cold either :thumb:

We did when we moved in, although not for the rabbits - it was because I didn't see how kids + food + wee + all the other mess children make could possibly work on a carpetted floor. We have wood effect vinyl in the living room and it's great for ease of cleaning and not cold either :thumb:

We did this - we have Vinyl now. I'd recommend something with a grain so they can get some grip. Even with a grain mine slip a little, usually when they are stretching (back legs slip out) but they are generally ok. They didnt seem to care too much after the change. I got a couple of mats from home bargains that i put in their hang out spots and in front of the cage. You can get some cheap that are machine washable. I got one with a rubber bottom which works well as they don't slide around.

I couldn't go back to carpet now. The amount of dirt we get up off the floor after mopping and we clean it every week. To think all that dirt was in the carpet!!!

I was paranoid about cleaning the flooring with something that was rabbit safe. I used f10 which is animal safe disinfectant used by vets. Seems expensive but its concentrated so it lasts a while. Just an option

http://www.amazon.co.uk/F10-Disinfectant-SC-200ml/dp/B004FG803E

Edit: Just realised in your original post you said there was flooring underneath. If they don't like the flooring thats there i.e it isnt warm enough or not enough grip you could maybe try and get some left over vinyl from someone you know. Most people who have had it done will have leftovers. Failing that you could always nip to a flooring shop. If you only need a bit they might give you some old cut off that isn't sell-able or just charge you a small amount

Last edited:
Could you make the carpet gradually smaller by cutting bits off to lethim get used to it gradually? It will be so much easier to care for than carpet!

I dunno what made me think there was tiles underneath, its like a wooden covering so will definatly have to get something to cover it. Its quite a big room 10ft x 7ft x

I dunno what made me think there was tiles underneath, its like a wooden covering so will definatly have to get something to cover it. Its quite a big room 10ft x 7ft x

Our local carpet place does off cuts and I got non slip bathroom lino to do hutches with. It works brilliantly.

Back