• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Should I be picking them up?

Kirotea

Mama Doe
(Sorry if you've already seen this introduction, I'm a new bunny owner posting a fair few questions!) So I rehomed 2 sisters from the RSPCA. They are only 4.5 months old and I'm their 3rd person and in that time they've both been spayed as well. They've not been that well handled therefore. I've had them just over a week and I've been stroking them when they get food first of all which they will just about tolerate now. Maddie will just about let me stroke her now without food and yesterday she jumped up on my bum (I'm sure it was a squishy seat!) when I was lay on the floor and sat there for a few minutes, she also flopped down quite close to me too. Millie is less keen although she will come up and see me she usually hops off if I try to stroke her. I convince myself she hates me when she goes off to a corner and looks all grumpy but then she binkies - she rears up like a horse haha and flies round the front room, bouncing off the skirting boards on the corners, bumps into things and jumps up in the air.

I've tried picking Maddie up but she kicked a lot and wiggled free (she was only a few cm from the floor). I'm not very confident with picking them up as I'm new to it, although I get you have to get your hand under their bum to support them I find it difficult when being scratched! My question is should I be picking them up now? Or should I wait until they're happier with being stroked etc? There's conflicting views on the internet! I don't want them to start thinking of me as the horrible lady who picks them up and destroy any bond we might have already. But I know I do need to get them use to being picked up and accept they're never going to be keen on the idea! I have seen them picked up and held them, it seems once they're up they're not that bothered really.

My gut instinct would be to wait a bit longer until they're properly settled in and then keep up with the stroking, until they're both happy to be given a good stroke, perhaps being brushed if appropriate? And then move to attempting to pick them up for holding if necessary.

However, it is worth noting that some rabbits just don't like being picked up. Flymo, whom we've had for aaaaaages, doesn't really like being handled at all (he's out of luck at the minute because he needs meds, so he's having to put up with us!) but Rosie who we got last year loves a good fuss. Neither like being picked up off the floor though so we try and keep any attention on the ground/a solid surface.

I'm no expert of course, that's just what I've found/what I would do :D

Welcome to the forum btw :thumb:

Last edited:
There is a lot of conflicting advice over this question. Bunnies, as prey animals, can find being picked up very stressful. Having said that, I have eight bunnies and live alone, and have to be able to pick mine up easily for bottom checks in the summer and to medicate when they are poorly and to put in their carrier for vet visits.

Mine are all picked up regularly so they don't associate being picked up with something unpleasant to follow. I often pick them up for a cuddle before I feed them so they tolerate the cuddle because they know noms are coming. None of mine struggle now and most relax and seem quite settled being held and cuddled. I am very firm with them (not in a way that hurts them) so they feel secure. When I volunteered at a rescue the buns had to be put out in runs and I got used to holding wriggly bunnies.

My vet often comments on how easy mine are to treat. I always hold them myself at the vet rather than letting a nurse do it as I find they get more stressed with a stranger.

It sounds like your buns are slowly growing to trust you so I would take it a step at a time and try to get them to associate being held with something pleasant, like a fenucreek crunchie or a piece of herb.

Some buns hate being picked up and will never be cuddle buns unless on their terms. It is important that you can handle them though, for vet visits, health checks and if you ever need to medicate.

In your situation I would be tempted to leave it another couple of weeks to let them fully settle and trust you.

Even once you get more confident with it you may well find that when putting a rabbit down they nearly always struggle as they just want to get down quicker! In my experience the nearer the bun is to the floor the more they struggle. As already said you need to be firm, if you feel unsure they will know! :lol:

I wouldn't force the issue, I'd just scoop them up, quick cuddle, back down and here are some yummy things. You can tell the difference between a miffed bun and a terrified bun, 3 of mine are miffed, one terrified at handling so I leave him be. But then I worked at a rescue and am quite good and handling rabbits that are less than impressed with me! So I know if I ever needed to handle him for meds ect I could, I can also do his claws.

Scamps hates be picked up he loves cuddles but the picking up he hates

I have picked him up lots for health checks and he still isn't used To it some buns never calm down with picking up some don't mind and some hate it

I'd give it some time though so they trust you

Thanks for the advice everyone. I feel a bit better now! I was talking to a woman who works in the pet shop near my work and she seemed horrified that I wasn't picking them up. She was talking about how she handled her buns straight away to get them use to it, although she was obviously talking about babies and the situation is a bit different to my buns. My mum has picked them up (she's more confident than me) and they do kick a lot but they're not petrified and will stay for a little bit before wanting to get down again. Maddie let me brush her while she was eating her hay but I know I'll need to pick Millie up soon to give her a brush etc.

Pet shop owners don't necessarily know what's best for the animals one pet shop owner said that they should be eating a food bowl of pellets a day and a handful of hay....

Another said does dnt need neutering and that uterine cancer was a myth, she also said rabbits prefer to be on their own and not to be in a pair or more

One even said about brushing rabbits teeth o_O

Anywho...

When you feel comfortable and the buns have settled in pick them up then reward them with a treat so there's no negative associations
I wouldn't hold them long either just a quick lift and move on to holding for longer to do checks etc...

I pick Marnie up...but only when necessary. She doesn't really like it and gets quite cross.

Maurice doesn't get picked up. End of story. If he even thinks you might be about to pick him up he bites. It's fairly unsurprising considering he was dropped as a baby and then left with an untreated smashed leg for 2 years :roll: If he needs moving I use the carrier. Much safer for both of us.

You know your bunnies, take it slow if you do decide to start picking them up.

Back