• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Weeing outside crate?

Emma bunbun

Young Bun
I have a large dog crate for my rabbit, with a run and then the run of the living room in the evening.
He has a litter tray and seems to have done a few wee's in there but noticed a patch on the carpet this morning outside the cage area on the carpet?
Is he spraying? Also noticed he'd done it again in the exact area...it's very close to his litter tray but it's going outside the cage if that makes sense

Hi no he isn't neutered, got him on Friday and he's only 9 weeks old.
And as for the litter I'm using them wooden chips it says rabbit litter in the bag.

Thanks for your reply
Emma

Hi no he isn't neutered, got him on Friday and he's only 9 weeks old.
And as for the litter I'm using them wooden chips it says rabbit litter in the bag.

Thanks for your reply
Emma

He's only been with you for 3 days and so is still settling in. Likely he's missing his siblings too - a completely new life and set-up. Be patient with him, he's only a baby.

I suggest that, instead of using litter in his tray, you put a thick layer of newspaper with hay on top: rabbits do like to pee, poo and eat at the same time. Clean this out every day, but for the time being transfer some of the pee and poo from the old tray into the clean one.

Thanks I will do that.
I was just wondering how he was managing to aim outside the cage when he was in there with the door shut.
He's been out all morning and no poop on the floor, I'm guessing this is a good sign...

If you follow the advice I've given, I am sure things will improve, and once he is old enough to be neutered and his hormones have settled, he should be fine!

Have you thought about getting him a female mate? Most rabbits are happier when they are part of a bonded couple.

I agree with everything Babsie said :thumb: just to add lots of us use underbed storage boxes as litter trays, they're higher sided than cat litter trays so it's harder for bunnies to pee over the side :thumb:

Thanks babsie for your advice.
Yeah I have a female living outside atm who I'm hoping to bond him with once he's neutered :) hopefully they will become a lovely pair x

Thanks babsie for your advice.
Yeah I have a female living outside atm who I'm hoping to bond him with once he's neutered :) hopefully they will become a lovely pair x

Excellent! A castrated male and a spayed female make lovely couples! (You will need to wait 6 weeks after his neuter for his hormones to die down before attempting to bond them.)

they will wee and poo at the entrance to 'their' area. i remember feeling so honoured when my bunnies decided that my front and back doors were entrances to 'their' house and started marking the spot.
also, they'll wee outside the tray because they are clever and can do it. mine all do that. i put puppy pads down in the toilet area, under and around the trays.
tabby rabbit will also wee in anything put out as a water dish, as she is an exceptionally clever rabbit and talented wee-director, and can show you that she knows what a tray is for, even if its a teeny tiny one with clean water already in it.
wee and poo. get used to them. :lol:

Back