• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Someone tried to make a "rabbit stew" joke to me the other day...

steph182

Wise Old Thumper
I was stood with OH and a few others, talking to someone about vet costs. They were talking about their dog and I mentioned how expensive out of hours has been when I've been with the rabbits.
Someone stood behind the people I was talking to said "just stick them in a pot!". No one laughed, but when I replied with "they've been vaccinated, they're not fit for human consumption", the people I was talking to laughed at him. :thumb:

He quietly said something about feeding them to the dog, but no one bothered listening to him after that. He then went away :lol:

Rabbit pie/stew jokes don't really bother me, but it's just boring. I'm glad that someone went away looking the fool, and I thought the rest of RU might be glad of it too :thumb:

it always amazes me that people are willing to talk about killing and eating family members. they would wonder what i was on about if i said i'd make sure their alsatian made it to the chippy. [that really did happen near where i lived. alsatian in the fridge.]

They'd be horrified if their child was ill and you joked that they should just have it PTS or fed to the lions in the local zoo to save NHS costs. Why should a family pet be any different?

i get the rabbit pie/stew "jokes" all the time.

the cat and dog owners don't have to put up with it, so now when someone makes a "joke" about eating my buns i do this, try it....

laugh REALLY loudly, say to them that what they said was just SO,SO FUNNY!
and HOW ORIGINAL!! did you think of that ALL BY YOURSELF?, that's AMAZING, you should be a stand-up comic!!

They'd be horrified if their child was ill and you joked that they should just have it PTS or fed to the lions in the local zoo to save NHS costs. Why should a family pet be any different?

Thank you! I knew I couldn't be the only one who felt this way!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tell Little I'm going to put her in a pie on an almost daily basis.

:lol: I had to threaten mine with the oven the the other week as I had a house inspection and I wanted the house to be tidy & free of hay & droppings for just 5 minutes. It worked!

:lol: I had to threaten mine with the oven the the other week as I had a house inspection and I wanted the house to be tidy & free of hay & droppings for just 5 minutes. It worked!

Doesn't work with Little. She's still the world's worst bun :roll:

I'd not like it if anyone made the "joke" to me but it's ok for me to tell mine their "fate" if they are naughty- that's different.
It annoys me that when I google RU as I am typing recipes pops up on the drop down box:(

If Sonic ever looks like he's going to touch mum (she doesn't like animals :roll: ), she always says "You'll taste good, bunny!"

She never would though :lol:

I'd not like it if anyone made the "joke" to me but it's ok for me to tell mine their "fate" if they are naughty- that's different.
It annoys me that when I google RU as I am typing recipes pops up on the drop down box:(

I noticed that too, you write in rabbit re.. And up pops recipes :cry:

I did ask people at work whether they would find cooking their beloved dog or cat funny and they at least had the grace to look shamefaced and mutter they wouldn't do it again.

Every time I mention my bunnies, I get some comment about killing them and eating them from my boss at work. I'm sick and tired of repeating myself. Now, when they make a comment, I just ignore them and don't "laugh along". Hopefully they will eventually realise that it's not funny, it's boring and they need to get a new joke.

I too have to admit to joking with my buns about "the pot" when they have destroyed something! Not that anybody in this house would ever eat rabbit! :lol:

Oh god This reminds me of Jenna

Mother and daughter was being nasty to Jenna about her rabbits and the mum made the stew joke

Jenna said : only if you stick your daughter in the pot first

And walked off

The woman was appalled

I think she did right :lol: so annoying when people make rabbit food jokes. I keep snakes as well so I even get snake food jokes :evil:

i get the rabbit pie/stew "jokes" all the time.

the cat and dog owners don't have to put up with it, so now when someone makes a "joke" about eating my buns i do this, try it....

laugh REALLY loudly, say to them that what they said was just SO,SO FUNNY!
and HOW ORIGINAL!! did you think of that ALL BY YOURSELF?, that's AMAZING, you should be a stand-up comic!!

Yes I used to do this in work - someone photocopied a recipe once and stuck it to my pc with "which one can I have" written on the top.

Oh how I miss work - not.

It's ok for you to joke at your bunnies by 'threatening them' with the pot, it's funny because you don't mean it even after they've destroyed things...other people are idiots. Seriously.

Steph - surprised you didn't punch them.

:roll: people!

I get the same about my rabbits, the chickens, the ducks, George the turkey (especially at Christmas and even now, they are like, 'oh why is he still here? Christmas is over!'), goats and even my pony! :roll:

Loving some of the comeback suggestions though!

Back