• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

S&N cover not protecting hutch :-(

Peterbunny

Mama Doe
Hi all,

I bought a custom made scratch and Newton hutch cover off the website and it arrived just before Christmas. I've just noticed loads of water built up between the cover and the hutch roof!!! Surely it's meant to be waterproof? I'm feeling abit conned tbh as it wasn't cheap :cry:

Anyone got this problem with these covers??

I don't know how good they are but yes it could be condensation and i would go by that, what is the cover made for?
And what it is ideally for?

Hi,

I do open it up every day, in the event of really horrendous rain I might pull the plastic front back over, but not Velcro etc so there is still air flowing, but that's quite unusual as the hutch is in quite a nice position so gets good protection from the elements.

However the water is under the top of the cover ( on the felt top) and I don't take the whole cover off every day. I just happened to lift it slightly this morning and spotted all the water

The covers are "showerproof", not waterproof. I have loads of covers and all I can say is they are better than nothing! Just! It's a big problem I am working on at the moment. What I have done is put something waterproof between the cover and the roof of the hutch. This does help a bit.

I don't know how good they are but yes it could be condensation and i would go by that, what is the cover made for?
And what it is ideally for?

According to the website the cover is designed to protect Pete from the elements and also protect the hutch so that it can stay outside in all weathers. Not overly sure what its made from though :? It's got a thickish clear plastic front and a thin ( looks like it should be waterproof) cover over the rest on the hutch . It's held down by clips which tie around the hutch legs so I don't see how water is coming up underneath the cover :? It's more like water is coming through the material. It's an awful lot to be condensation :(

I'm having trouble, too. I think the weather has been extremely wet, though, to be fair, and the material is so saturated it can't keep the water off. I have had spores forming on the inside roof of one of the "protected" boarding hutches, too, so check for that. I have raised the cover up from the roof slightly by putting a brick at either end between the felt and the cover, to allow some air circulation and so that puddles of water don't "sit" there, which might help. I don't think that there's anything that would protect adequately in the persistently wet weather we have had. :roll:

I'm having trouble, too. I think the weather has been extremely wet, though, to be fair, and the material is so saturated it can't keep the water off. I have had spores forming on the inside roof of one of the "protected" boarding hutches, too, so check for that. I have raised the cover up from the roof slightly by putting a brick at either end between the felt and the cover, to allow some air circulation and so that puddles of water don't "sit" there, which might help. I don't think that there's anything that would protect adequately in the persistently wet weather we have had. :roll:

That's what I'm thinking of doing, I've taken the whole cover off for today ( as its finally dry weather!) to try and dry out the felt then ill put some bricks on to try and stop the material sitting immediately on top of the felt

That's what I'm thinking of doing, I've taken the whole cover off for today ( as its finally dry weather!) to try and dry out the felt then ill put some bricks on to try and stop the material sitting immediately on top of the felt

That was going to be my advice, place something between the roof and cover to allow some airflow but to me a well built product shouldn't need a cover.

I use pond liner. It's not easy to manipulate to get it to fit, but it's worth it.

Guaranteed to be waterproof else the fish would all die if it leaked/seeped out.

No problems here and there are currently puddles all over it but the run is bone dry :thumb:

That was going to be my advice, place something between the roof and cover to allow some airflow but to me a well built product shouldn't need a cover.

You need a cover over the meshed part to stop the rain coming in through the front

I've made some covers for the front of the kennel from clear waterproof material, hemmed the edge and put some eyelets in, has worked really nicely tbh!

You need a cover over the meshed part to stop the rain coming in through the front

I've made some covers for the front of the kennel from clear waterproof material, hemmed the edge and put some eyelets in, has worked really nicely tbh!

But that doesn't have to be a cover than goes over the roof, it can be a overhanging roof, or shutters?
The first hutch i made which is my own hutch doesn't get wet by the mesh part without a cover or shutter.

Does your hutch have a flat roof? If it's got a slope, it sounds like it might have a bit of a sag if it's getting a pool of water. You could try placing something on the roof under the cover eg a small upturned flowerpot, just enough to make sure the rain hitting the cover runs off the sides and doesn't sit in a dip, which is when I expect it's most likely to soak through.

I also have a s & n green cover and it isn't saturating rain proof more light showers proof, they do an inside silver thermal cover that goes underneath the green cover that will keep the hutch bone dry and warm or cool in summer. It cost £30 ish for the thermal for my double hutch. I also put a bit more Velcro down the sides to stop the top section blowing in the wind and on a night have a duvet that goes under the front plastic cover and the Velcro holds it all in so the front is insulated. I have a spare utility radiator the duvet goes on during the day just to keep it warm for them.

Back