• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Getting a 2nd rabbit.

Rhysist

New Kit
I have a unsprayed female rabbit called Tequila and I was thinking off getting a 2nd rabbit for her to have more of a social life when I'm not around. I want to try and avoid her having babies and is only 7 months old.

I don't have a scooby doo what I need to find out. I've got plenty of room but unsure if I need to get a 2nd cage. Would two females get on okay? I need to do as much research as I can before I find her a friend.

And before anyone asks, I know I need to get her sprayed to reduce her chances of getting cancer. This will happen soon when I stop living the student life and start making some real money. :D

I have a unsprayed female rabbit called Tequila and I was thinking off getting a 2nd rabbit for her to have more of a social life when I'm not around. I want to try and avoid her having babies and is only 7 months old.

I don't have a scooby doo what I need to find out. I've got plenty of room but unsure if I need to get a 2nd cage. Would two females get on okay? I need to do as much research as I can before I find her a friend.

And before anyone asks, I know I need to get her sprayed to reduce her chances of getting cancer. This will happen soon when I stop living the student life and start making some real money. :D

Hi - I'm sure some of the fab folks on here will be along soon to give you some additional tips but generally boy/girl matches are easier - also bear in mind that bunnies are not cheap to keep and if your strapped for cash you need to consider if you are able to meet their welfare needs in vets bills for vaccinations, routine care and unforeseen medical care.

Are there any rescues you could chat to near you to give you some advice and praps help with bonding and accommodation etc should you decide to proceed?

If you cannot afford to have her spayed then I would wait until your are financially stable before embarking on another rabbit. I assume she is vaccinated.

She needs to be spayed before bonding. Also, as people have already mentioned, it sounds as though you couldn't afford another bun. Rabbits are expensive, and if you can't afford to spay her, you need to think if you can afford to take her to an emergency vet? I find that they are generally around the same price, depending on your vets.

Perhaps you can save up to get her spayed? By then, you may be able to afford another rabbit. If you try to bond her before she is spayed, she is very likely to fight with another bun, especially if you get another doe.

I agree with above, if you cannot afford to spay her now then certainly don't get another rabbit. :wave:

I agree, it is important for her to have a friend, but until you can afford to neuter her I wouldn't get another rabbit. When she has been neutered you will be best off going to a rescue to find her a friend. This way you will only have to pay for the new rabbit's adoption fee, and won't need separate accommodation and all the expenses of getting another rabbit neutered. Obviously two rabbits will cost more than one, so it might be worth putting some money aside and create a little savings account for them so you can afford to pay for any vets bills in the future (especially if they are not insured!) Hope this helps

Some rescues don't neuter or spay due to no funding. My local sspca haven't done any of there buns :shock: so you might still have this expense.

Some rescues don't neuter or spay due to no funding. My local sspca haven't done any of there buns :shock: so you might still have this expense.

i wouldn't adopt from a rescue that doesn't neuter, it's irresponsible of them in my opinion

Back