• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cats...

TD86

Alpha Buck
For two years now, I have lived in an area surrounded by cats. They look, sniff, paw, and do number 2s around the rabbit run. They also jump from next doors roof onto the top of the hutch as a way to get back to the floor. I have a hose constantly set on jet spray and have used this as a way to deter them but I am now out of patience as they almost find it to be a game and keep coming back (I am at work all day so can only hose cats on weekends/evenings).

A bit of background: we used to live in a place with a fairly small garden but with lots of free range all the time and the cats in the area wouldn't go near them. We can't let them free range anymore as it's always dark when we come home from work and Dangermouse got bitten by a fox at our last place so is always wary, especially of ginger cats.

I have bought some of that lion poo stuff which i keep meaning to put down but I don't want to waste it as this has always been a rented house and when we moved in, the garden was in a disgraceful state (which would be why the cats are treating it as a toilet I guess?) and no matter what we do, the cats keep coming back.

Has anyone else had this issue? I don't want to hurt the cats but I am at the point of just thinking sod the cats! stop worrying the buns, it's their garden after all!

We have a few cats that come into our garden and look at the rabbits and guinea pigs but they are always in a run so can't get to them and the rabbits are not stressed by there presents at all. Is it just the pooing that's an issue ? Sorry I can't offer any advise x

I have 2 cats with 3 rabbits and next doors 2 cats come in to the garden too :roll:

I must be lucky as non of them really bother with the rabbits when free range

my two don't bother the rabbits Cleo runs away and but Jessy does try to play with them, however, I'm not worried about him as he has spent the night with the rabbits in the hutch, he got locked in by mistake :oops: late night feed and he gets in the bedroom for a nap, if I open the run he is always in there :roll: when they run at him he is not so brave :lol:

Next doors cats just sit and watch from top of the shed or hutch or by the tree, I am always armed with water pistol just incase anyone does get a bit close, if you squirt and shout leave or no eventually you should only have to say leave or No and they should leave the garden when ever you go out :?

Keep it up you will win :D

As for the poops try some behave spray on the grass where they are doing it it's not toxic for buns if they eat the grass and should/might stop the cats :? Or Jaffa orange peel as cats don't like citrus either, I wouldn't use the lion poo as foxes might just come to investigate the smell rather than be scared of it

Last edited:
We have a few cats that come into our garden and look at the rabbits and guinea pigs but they are always in a run so can't get to them and the rabbits are not stressed by there presents at all. Is it just the pooing that's an issue ? Sorry I can't offer any advise x

They can't get to the rabbits but it just stresses them out. I get increasingly frustrated in the winter I guess as I can't see what I'm treading in when I go out there and have thrown out at least three pairs of shoes in the last year because of it! x

I have 2 cats with 3 rabbits and next doors 2 cats come in to the garden too :roll:

I must be lucky as non of them really bother with the rabbits when free range

my two don't bother the rabbits Cleo runs away and but Jessy does try to play with them, however, I'm not worried about him as he has spent the night with the rabbits in the hutch, he got locked in by mistake :oops: late night feed and he gets in the bedroom for a nap, if I open the run he is always in there :roll: when they run at him he is not so brave :lol:

Next doors cats just sit and watch from top of the shed or hutch or by the tree, I am always armed with water pistol just incase anyone does get a bit close, if you squirt and shout leave or no eventually you should only have to say leave or No and they should leave the garden when ever you go out :?

Keep it up you will win :D

As for the poops try some behave spray on the grass where they are doing it it's not toxic for buns if they eat the grass and should/might stop the cats :? Or Jaffa orange peel as cats don't like citrus either, I wouldn't use the lion poo as foxes might just come to investigate the smell rather than be scared of it

I've tried citrus but that did absolutely nothing. Someone suggested putting catnip in the garden as they won't toilet where they eat/enjoy going, but I'd imagine this will encourage them to keep coming in the garden! I've not heard of behave spray before, I'll try that - thanks! :thumb:

A dog alarm sensor would be great, cat trigger sensor, loud woofing. I dont get cats thank goodness, I have 2 doggies, I know my friend who keeps birds in an aviary used a kind of sticky greasy jelly slopped all along his wall and it stopped the cat as the cat wouldn't stand on it, maybe something alone those lines?:)

my neighborhood has a cat and often comes over to meet the bun ...

i think cats are more interested in buns. but i have know to be wrong :)

You could try one of those cat/fox watch battery alarms. We have a fox one at the end of our garden, and have noticed that the trigger alarm seems to affect our cat as well when she gets near, as she will immediately stop in her tracks and run away from it .

The "I'm at work in the day so can only hose cats on evenings/weekends" bit made me giggle :D sorry I don't have anything helpful to add x

The "I'm at work in the day so can only hose cats on evenings/weekends" bit made me giggle :D sorry I don't have anything helpful to add x

i have to admit that got me as well, like if only i didnt have to work - there just arent enough hours in the day to hose all the cats id like to... :lol: :lol: :lol:

i have to admit that got me as well, like if only i didnt have to work - there just arent enough hours in the day to hose all the cats id like to... :lol: :lol: :lol:

OMG that's hilarious!!! I'm crying with laughter here, nearly wetting myself!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Me too, clearly didn't consider how that would sound when i wrote it!! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Me too, clearly didn't consider how that would sound when i wrote it!! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

I've just come back to this thread and am still rolling on the floor laughing! If I have sore stomach muscles tomorrow from laughing at this thread, I'm blaming you! "Pulls grumpy face and explodes with more laughter"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know it's sad, I am like a woman possessed! :lol:

I feel the same in the summer when the cats poop in my flower bed and on the grass! Never catch them though or I would be the same, even though I love cats! Think I've heard double sided tape might put them off jumping on your hutch. It may not stay sticky for long with the rain (or the hose pipe :D ) but cats hate stickiness on their paws so could put them off a bit

Back