• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

bunnies and doggies in harmony?

mokwa32

Alpha Buck
Hello.

I was wondering if anyone has pet dogs and house buns who are out at the same time?

Binx pen is in my livingroom so my dogs quickly got used to seeing him. The novelty soon wore off for Toby and Roxy. I never thought having them out at the same time would ever be a reality, but I followed my vets advice to regularly take the dogs in on there lead when Binx was out of his pen. Initially they were inquisitive and waggly tails, sniffing him and following him about the room. I was very careful to always have a strong grip incase their prey drive kicked in. Binx I have to say is amazing. He was never bothered for the doggies at all, never ran away scared, just carried on his very important exploring business. I think this was good in that he never ran scared from them, so they never chased. Then there was 2 occasions where the baby gate was accidentally left open and one of my dogs walked in while Binx was out and both times the dogs were so uninterested in him, but we quicky took them out with many strokes and pats on the head. So this evening I had a good gut instinct so while Binx was out I took each dog in one at a time, with no lead, and observed from wherever Binx went what was going on. Roxy my Russell ***** greeted Binx as a member of the family, he binkied and she waggled her tail then sat and inched her ear, I gave her lots of praise. Then Toby my Russell boy came in and I stayed by Binx, Toby sniffed around eating up any droppings, had a sniff of Binx then sat with paw for a treat from me.

I must say I would never get comfortable, im always on guard for inbred instinct motivation signs, and id never put any of them at risk. I would never leave any of them alone together unsupervised. But I think im going to keep doing this for short bursts. Both my Russells are middle aged (7 and 8) so maybe that plays a part, and they are both spayed and neutered. They are also very obedient through years of reward training, they love praise and pleasing me.

Has anyone any nice success stories to tell?

Please no negative comments.:D

Last edited:
Although never left alone, I have my woofers and my bunnies out in the garden together. Meggie doesn't care a jot for them, aside from the 'delicious' bunny-bobbles they fire out of one end :lol:. If they didn't poop, she'd completely ignore them. Bryn likes to watch them from behind a plant pot :roll: but if they get too close, he can't look at them and has to walk away. Again, he loves bunny poop :roll:.

I know you can never be 100% sure that nothing will happen but I can honestly say (hand on heart) that I've had more near misses where the buns have got under my feet and I've nearly kicked or trodden on them.

Such a lovely story, thankyou :) it made me smile big time picturing your dog hiding behind the plant pot :lol: yes I know what you meen, toby finds droppings delicious :shock: I dont know why? Yes you cant be 100% ever but as long as you know your animals behaviour you can recognise their mood and read any signs. Its like people say who have cats, their dog will chase cats but not the cats in their home. I think there is that pack dynamic, once your in the pack your not seen as a threat, providing the humans are strong alpha leaders. But yes again, always be ready to difuse any excitable behaviour :)

Brill_zps1fa68fc9.png

Yes but sadly my dog passed last September. They weren't allowed unsupervised play together but generally speaking they liked each other. Boss my dog used to lick Springfields nose and when Boss died he mourned for him.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Charlie was never allowed out when my uncles dogs were around, but even though one of the dogs has a high chase drive she ignored him in his pen pretty quick. Milly hates dogs though so they don't go near the rabbits when they visit anymore!

Brill_zps1fa68fc9.png

Yes but sadly my dog passed last September. They weren't allowed unsupervised play together but generally speaking they liked each other. Boss my dog used to lick Springfields nose and when Boss died he mourned for him.

So sorry to hear about your dog, must have been heartbraking. Such a lovely story about your bunny and doggy :) I dont know if I will ever see this with my bunch, but as long as there is no agression thats a start and im delighted.

So sorry to hear about your dog, must have been heartbraking. Such a lovely story about your bunny and doggy :) I dont know if I will ever see this with my bunch, but as long as there is no agression thats a start and im delighted.

It wasn't plain sailing for us. When we first got Springfield, Bossy paced around his cage (doesn't use his cage now) drooling and licking his lips! I always put Bossys collar on when Springfield had playtime just in case he changed his mind and I needed to pull him away. I also occasionally put Boss upstairs if I thought his behaviour was becoming more.. instinctual. Although 90% of the time they were fine I'd never have trusted them together completely.

It was and still is totally devastating. I miss him terribly. The two boys were bonded and so when Boss died I did get a wife bunny for Springfield.

It wasn't plain sailing for us. When we first got Springfield, Bossy paced around his cage (doesn't use his cage now) drooling and licking his lips! I always put Bossys collar on when Springfield had playtime just in case he changed his mind and I needed to pull him away. I also occasionally put Boss upstairs if I thought his behaviour was becoming more.. instinctual. Although 90% of the time they were fine I'd never have trusted them together completely.

It was and still is totally devastating. I miss him terribly. The two boys were bonded and so when Boss died I did get a wife bunny for Springfield.

Bossy looks gorgeous and like a big character. I had my doggies before my babies so they were my world, still are, just there is more of us now :) i would be devastated, well I will be when they leave me. So Bossy thought Springfied would make a good meal, this is so encouraging for me to hear. It would be great one day not having to put Tob and Rox out, or Binx in.

Oh yes don't give up hope. If your dog's listen to your command to stay away then they'll get used to it and learn to stay away without you saying a thing.
Good luck with it all!

Oh yes don't give up hope. If your dog's listen to your command to stay away then they'll get used to it and learn to stay away without you saying a thing.
Good luck with it all!

Thankyou. Was nice hearing your story :)

All 4 of my dogs have lived with house rabbits at some point. They ate, slept and played together.
each was introduced carefully and the dogs were very protective of the rabbits never got rough when playing and rabbit and dog often groomed each other.

my rottie x husky sidney got the nickname 'loverman' when one bunny Dylan took a *ahem* shine to Sid. Very funny as Sid always the gent used to wait until Dyl finished!

All 4 of my dogs have lived with house rabbits at some point. They ate, slept and played together.
each was introduced carefully and the dogs were very protective of the rabbits never got rough when playing and rabbit and dog often groomed each other.

my rottie x husky sidney got the nickname 'loverman' when one bunny Dylan took a *ahem* shine to Sid. Very funny as Sid always the gent used to wait until Dyl finished!

Oh my gosh a rottixhusky, well there is definitely hope for me :lol: iv had such a possitive experience so far. The only thing im worried about is both dogs in together as the prey drive could kick in. So im introducing them one at a time just now.

update....

Ok so its been a a few weeks of training but im now in a position where I can leave Binx pen open all day and my 2 Parsons Russels dont bother him! :D Toby likes to have a look around to see where Binx is hiding and might have a sniff of fur and Roxy is soooo uninterested with much more important things to do. Im delighted, its taken a lot of treat training but its largely due to Binx being so chilled out. For example last night I was sitting on the sofa giving Roxy snuggles and Binx was laying on the rug fully stretched out nice and happy and related, then Toby came trotting in, Binx withdrew slightly one back leg, but then relaxed again, Toby walked past giving him a look then jump up on the sofa to lay down. It was a great moment. Now Binx can have more free reign and my dogs can come and go as they please as long as im here to observe and keep an eye on them. :D

Thumper was terrified of dogs from a bad experience before he arrived.
My neighbour has a miniature poodle, with lots of obediance & dog dancing rosettes.
At 1st. she'd stay at the door with the dog until Thumper got curious & one day even had a sniff of the dog's leg (When she wasn't looking)
The poodle was then allowed in, on lie down command. Thumper was completely non phased. There were some amusing times when social behaviour clashed eg Thumper was slightly surprised to have a wet nose pressed against his.
Thumper loved running, & so did the dog but we never let them play together because Celine was bouncy in doggy play. There could have been an accident from bouncing.
It was lovely how gentle the dog was in helping Thumper to overcome his fear.

Must have been hard for Thumper to begin to trust again, but knowing you would keep him safe must have been a huge factor in him begining to be arround dogs again. Last night binx was laying on the rug and toby my boy dog came over and lay beside him, they were both snuggling each other, it was so cute. :D

Good luck! My labrador and lionhead are best friends!

The only problem is that katie chases the dog round the house sometimes!

Recently toby my dog and binx have been choosing to lay beside each other, touching bodies too, I think they are becoming friends.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk

Our do, Martha, will be in the garden whilst the bunnies are free ranging. They are always supervised, but we have never had any worrying moments. Our cat, Jake, however is petrified of them, even though he sees them every day, as soon as a bun moves in his general direction he's off but for some reason loves to sit in their hutch whilst they are out. Strange boy!

I have house rabbits and house dogs. :) the rabbits live on the upper floor of the house so when i am not supervising they get shut in their room. i actually 100% trust my adult dog (the one in my sig) to not harm them but my 8 months old is a bit rambunctious so I have a stairgate separating them unless i am directly supervising.

The rabbits are used to dogs, they are 8 and 7 and were here before my current dogs. Faline actually would go for both dogs as puppies which helped teach the dogs to respect the buns. They greet them by sniffing heads and ears and the rabbits out their heads down and Arran likes to walk around behind the rabbits.

The worst part is him stealing their food. He pinched a bit of hay out of faline's mouth about half an hour ago. :oops:

Wow, its been really wonderful..... Toby waggles his tail when he enters the room and spots Binx. Sometimes they lie together. Tomorrow im going to pick up another bunny so have to start the training all over again, I wonder if it will be smooth running.

Back