• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Damp air in shed

elainema

Warren Scout
Hi,
Although the walls and everything in the shed feel dry and there's no water getting in, the bun's hay and bedding tend to feel a bit damp and cold. I change their hay every day and refresh when needed but the next morning it feels damp again.
I was wondering if putting one of those tub things with the crystals that absorb moisture in would be ok? Obviously on the top shelf waaaayyy out of bunny reach!
Does anyone have any opinions or experience or know what I'm talking about :wave:

Has your shed got ventilation holes, or an open window? It's so difficult this weather but I find the hay in my sheds stays dry, but I have open windows and we are getting more than our fair share of wind which helps disperse the dampness.

Personalty I wouldn't use silica crystals in tubs, even if they are well out of the way as anything could topple them and they are toxic to animals. Like Tonibun said, some cross ventilation should help. :)

Damp is caused by the build up of excess moisture within the shed, you need more airflow and ideally the air should come in one way and go out the same way.

I usually tell people a shed should have 8 vents, two each side.
Most sheds are built not for pets, they are built to be dry for storage and with that no vents, you need to make sure no water is getting in from the roof, walls, windows, floor or that.

But also remember that a shed doesn't have a damp proof cause so damp will raise from outside. The shed is to close to a wall and to close to the floor you will get raising damp. Make sure the shed is 100cm from any wall at least and above 38mm from ground but 100cm would be best.

Hope this helps

Thank you everyone. My shed (well, it's actually a summerhouse) is raised off the ground and there's no condensation on any of the windows so I'll get some extra vents put in or maybe replace a couple of the windows with mesh panels which I was planning to do for when the weather warmed up anyway xxx

The shed bunnies have this problem too but mostly the hatch door to their run is open for ventilation and so they can get outside. However my shed has a row of conifers to the side of it so that won't help when it's wet.

I have a cat flap fitted but of course that's not open all the time. I did drill a few holes above the door which seems to have made quite a significant improvement so hopefully if the rain ever stops it will dry out completely :thumb:

Back