PDA

View Full Version : Garage

Chazzer1976
18-01-2014, 12:30 AM
Hi all after recently moving house we not a only have a much bigger garden but also have the use of a garage which is accessed trough our back garden, it is how ever a housing association house and so we can not ad a cat flap. What I would like to know is does anybody else have there bunnies in a garage. my bunnies have a lot of free ranging time in my garden but as they are mature 9 and 7 I would like to keep them in the garage at night and allow them half the garage space as I have some of my things in there. Any suggestions of what I could do with so much solid space would be gratefully received. X

Tamsin
18-01-2014, 02:58 AM
I'm presuming you aren't keeping a car in it? With the fumes the produce you can't mix animals in too.

A cat flap probably isn't a big issue, I'd only recommend freeranging with very close supervision so you don't really want them free access between. A puppy pen is probably your best option for containing them, as they are cheap and free standing. If it's allowed you could put a hook each side and just use panels for the divider rather than making a pen all the way around.

They'll need some sort of hide/shelter, if it's a big pen and with the shelter of the garage you won't need something giant, a middle sized hutch would be fine and you could add more shelter with boxes etc.

One option might be to swap out the doors - depending on the style of door - you could just take it off the hinges and fit a new (well second hand would be cheap) door which would give you the option to add mesh panels for ventilation/light, particularly when summer comes around. As long as you keep and rehang the door I'd presume that wouldn't be an issue.

bunniemum
18-01-2014, 12:04 PM
A pair of mine are housed in our garage in a double hutch with a run attached to the front (the rest of the garage is used for storage, hubby's tools etc.) This is their night and bad weather accommodation, as they also have use of a run in the garden.

Neill
18-01-2014, 05:33 PM
does the garage have natural light , ie a window ect. I dont think its fair to have bunnies in the dark, plus sunlight gives them vitamin D. my neighbour kept her rabbit hutch in her dark garage , so cruel

happybun
18-01-2014, 06:18 PM
ooh, i was just thinking about doing this at my house, an hour ago. i have to start doing up the house ready to sell, as i probably won't be able to afford to live here when i finish work.
my garage has a side door, and if i open that and have a secure mesh inner door, that would act as a big window. there's also a smaller window which just needs cleaning.
i don't have a car so that isn't a problem and i'll throw away a lot of the stuff that's lurking in the garage at the moment.

what about flooring though? its concrete flooring. I'd be thinking of insulating the walls as people do with sheds, but what to do about the floor?

my idea is that they would have the whole garage to hop about in but have hides to keep them cosy.

bunniemum
18-01-2014, 06:34 PM
I have Profleeces/Vet bed & some bits of carpet samples I picked up from the charity shop for 99p each. But you could use anything really lino, rugs, rubber mats etc.. :)

Chazzer1976
19-01-2014, 02:21 AM
I'm presuming you aren't keeping a car in it? With the fumes the produce you can't mix animals in too.

A cat flap probably isn't a big issue, I'd only recommend freeranging with very close supervision so you don't really want them free access between. A puppy pen is probably your best option for containing them, as they are cheap and free standing. If it's allowed you could put a hook each side and just use panels for the divider rather than making a pen all the way around.

They'll need some sort of hide/shelter, if it's a big pen and with the shelter of the garage you won't need something giant, a middle sized hutch would be fine and you could add more shelter with boxes etc.

One option might be to swap out the doors - depending on the style of door - you could just take it off the hinges and fit a new (well second hand would be cheap) door which would give you the option to add mesh panels for ventilation/light, particularly when summer comes around. As long as you keep and rehang the door I'd presume that wouldn't be an issue.

Thanks for your advice and no I'm not keeping a car in the garage :)

Chazzer1976
19-01-2014, 02:29 AM
Thank you every one for all your advice, my bunnies would mainly have the garage as their night/winter space, and have use of the garden during the day, they are supervised as there is always someone home and my lounge opens up on to my back garden. I do not have a window in my garage but have already decided that I will keep the door open for them to have air and light infact I am considering building a run that allows them access to the back garden from the garage as and when they need it. I will also keep their out door hutch and put them in there when there is no one at home to supervise them. :)

happybun
19-01-2014, 01:25 PM
I have Profleeces/Vet bed & some bits of carpet samples I picked up from the charity shop for 99p each. But you could use anything really lino, rugs, rubber mats etc.. :)

thank you! there are the rubber mats used in stables... i might try to find out about those. my rabbits have always been houserabbits so if they go to the garage because i can't do up a house with rabbits in the bedrooms I'd like it to be really cosy for them.