• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Please read... how does this responce sound re my complaint

moi

Mama Doe
For those that are not aware the vets thought Timmy had a abcess, it turned out to be a cyst, they drained it and asked if I would like it removed. I stupidly thought it would be small and said no,it turns out the cyst was huge.

Heres Timmy when I got him home, still groggy from the anesthetic

Heres what I put in my letter:
Dear Sir/Madam,

I have thought long and hard over the last few days and it is with a heavy heart that I feel the need to complain. I bought my bunny Timmy in for vaccinations but as he had a lump under his chin they wanted to operate. It was thought it might have been an absess that needed draining. I have since found out a needle could have been inserted there and then which would have determined whether or not it was pus or something else. While Timmy was under anesthetic it was discovered it was a cyst which they drained, and I recieved a phone call asking if I would like the cyst removed which would have taken the cost from £107 to approximatly £200. As funds are tight and the insurance was within the first 14 days (therefore would not cover the cost) I opted just for the drainage. What had not been explained to me was that even after drainage the cyst was still very large. Had I have been told the cyst was that big I would have paid the extra there and then and had it removed. I called and spoke to reception and explained this, and asked how much it would cost to have it removed. It will be £150, a cost that could have been avoided had I been informed of the size of the cyst. I am a loving bunny owner and have bought all of my rabbits to yourself for vaccinations, check ups,neutering and treatment but I feel very let down by this. I am currently saving for the extra operation, being an exsisting condition means the insurance will not cover it. I hope that in future anyone going through the same will be given the correct information so they can make the right choice for their pet.

This is thier responce:

I never said Timmys cyst had re-swelled, I was annoyed at them not telling me about the size of what was left. And the part about underlying dental issues. They said if its an absess that can cause it, but does this letter mean he had dental disease?? I was told they 'trimmed a couple of sharp bits but nothing drastic'. Shall I leave it or reply, including a pic of Timmy and his lump straight after the op. Hes booked in elsewhere to have it removed now. I shant be going back there. Anyone who employs a vet that thinks feeling a bunnys cheeks is sufficent when it comes to checking teeth does not deserve mine and my buns buisness x

oh I forgot to say, the original letter was sent a month and a half ago and they have only just replied x

I think their letter is very confusing about the dental problems, and it does sound like they think the cyst has filled again since they operated. If you send the photo, I suppose they would say that it could have been taken recently.

I hope you and Timmy get on better with the new vet. He is gorgeous :love::love:

To be honest if you aren't going back there anyway I would probably leave it. Yes I think you are right to be annoyed with them for not recommending what was in Timmy's best interest. But as far as they are concerned they have a record of them contacting you and giving you the option of removal, and to them that is the end of the story. They gave you the option, the fact that they didn't describe it so that you understood the options is wrong but I'm not sure you have any come back.

Like you I would simply walk away.

Personally, I wouldn't let it go, although I am known to be like a dog with a bone at stuff like this. I think it's quite clear, due to the exclamation mark in their response that they are trying to act astonished that a mere mortal should complain when they clearly knew what what they were doing. If nothing else, complaining further should at least encourage learning with any other small furries that go into the surgery and I would also provide them with pictures, descriptions and a clear message that you will not be returning and will discourage people you know from using them. It may even make them rethink their strategy and offer to bring the bun back in for the op for free.

I am quite strong willed though and if you live in a small village and they are your only vet, my response may not be advised!

I also get the same impression as TD86 about the exclamation mark. You just don't put that in a response to a complaint. When you say about the vets saying one thing and that they didn't..this is the thing about companies likes vets and others... what they say is not recorded so it's your word against theirs about what they say... when I made a complaint the same thing pretty much happened. He said that they said or didn't say one thing and I knew the opposite and it annoys me because you can't prove it. The response to my complaint kept contradicting itself as well. I hope you get it all sorted.

Thank you guys, I am going to respond. Not because I want them to operate. They have lost my buisness now. But for future small animals and there owners. On my camera it says the date and time the pic was taken so may see if I can get that up once its downloaded. I accept my fault, I should have asked and gone for the removal straight away :( live and learn though

I live in a town with 2 vets but I've decided to register to one 30 mins down the road as they specilise in small animals and exotics x

I was shocked by the exclamation mark also. I thought it came scross as unprofessional x

Personally I don't read the exclamation mark in the same way as you guys, I just read it as them saying that actually, it was better for bunny because it was done under GA which in their opinion was needed in any case, regardless of the results of any needle aspiration. Ok it's not perhaps the most professional letter in the world, but I don't really see anything fundamentally wrong with what they've said. I'm all up for pursuing things where appropriate but personally in this case I'd just chalk it down to experience and move on, but we are all different so you need to do whatever you feel comfortable with. Hope your little one is ok x x

Personally I don't read the exclamation mark in the same way as you guys, I just read it as them saying that actually, it was better for bunny because it was done under GA which in their opinion was needed in any case, regardless of the results of any needle aspiration. Ok it's not perhaps the most professional letter in the world, but I don't really see anything fundamentally wrong with what they've said. I'm all up for pursuing things where appropriate but personally in this case I'd just chalk it down to experience and move on, but we are all different so you need to do whatever you feel comfortable with. Hope your little one is ok x x
He's fine, and a right little charecter. The cyst is due to be removed at the end of the momth, and they will neuter him at the same time. Poor lad will be sore at both ends :) x

Back