• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice please - Reaction to new combi myxi vaccine

Dusty_bugs

Young Bun
Hi guys,

Well 3 weeks in and we have our first problem :p Lily (black rex) has possibly reacted to the myxi vaccine we gave her 6 days ago. In just 2 days she has developed 3 swellings around her eyes. Solid and not yet leaking. I have just got back from the vets and have been given loxicom and piriton.
All other aspects of her health and behaviour are normal, though she is displaying less dominant behaviour than when she arrived.

Please can anyone advise me how these reactions normally play out, how long they last and how best I can tend to her whilst she recovers? My vet said upto 2 weeks for recovery and to use Vaseline or sudacrem on anything that starts to crack to keep skin supple/less irritable.

Also, the piriton has been given as tablets. How best are these fed? Should I powder them and put into a weak fruit juice suspension to ensure it is all taken in or will rabbits be fooled easily by smearing it on a leaf of greens? I am used to giving guineapigs their tablet meds in fruit juice and it is accepted readily.

Thanks guys!!

Oh gosh - that is quite rare - you are unlucky.

Has the vet informed the company? They are meant to report reactions like this

I would not put sudocrem on anything on the eyelid itself as it will get in the eye.

Piriton comes in a syrup form as well so just get the vet to tell you what dosage you need of it in syrup form and go and buy it in that form in the chemist! It will be much easier than tablets! OUr vet always gives the syrup form.

I agree with parsnipbun, and I do hope your little one makes a good recovery. I've also used the Piriton syrup and she used to drink it straight out of the syringe. if you do this, be careful you get Piriton with the same active ingredient as the tablets, piriteze is made by the same company and the packaging is very similar, but is a different ingredient.

All the best, I hope your little one is ok x x

thanks guys,
I have successfully hid the quarter tablet in a tomato today, she had it on her lip and the suspense was almost too much :p But she ate it.

Thank you for your concern about the sudacrem. Though I have 100% confidence in my skill with cotton tips and medical applications (guineapig disasters in the past) I have NO interest in making her situation worse just to play nurse. I could be the most careful person in the world but if you think she would end up just grooming the cream into her eyes and nose then I will leave it.

it's been 3 days, we've developed a genital lump but it is small. Just looks sore. No weepy puss or anything like that from the eyes.

Does anyone have any idea how much worse this will get before it will clear up? How quickly do the lumps come and go? We're still on 3 for the eyes and 1 on the genital opening.

Thanks guys

My giant Sorrell had a reaction to the combi vaccine last year :( I was so scared but apart from developing lumps around his eyes, ears and nose, he remained well in himself. They appeared over a few days and then stabilised and didn't get worse, though he was given Metacam. They crusted over, dried out and disappeared after a month, and he has had no further issues (though is due in a month or so, that will be a bit scary!)

My vet reported the reaction to the vaccination manufacturer to make them aware x

it's been 3 days, we've developed a genital lump but it is small. Just looks sore. No weepy puss or anything like that from the eyes.

Does anyone have any idea how much worse this will get before it will clear up? How quickly do the lumps come and go? We're still on 3 for the eyes and 1 on the genital opening.

Thanks guys

I am afraid it is remarkably varied - sorry not to be more help

hi, thanks everyone. My vet is having a conference with the rep he said, and will be emailing me with details as soon as. I'm starting to see crusting as well. But she's a sweet poppet and hasnt let it get her down :) Shes letting us give her meds with minimal fuss as well - but it takes two :p

Back