• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Honestly don't know what to do

Temeraire

Young Bun
Cookie is a five ish year old neutered buck. He lives alone (I know) in an upstairs flat. He was very poorly before Christmas with gut stasis, somehow he picked up at the last minute when everyone thought the odds were stacked against him.

When I got Cookie I was housebound with ME and we developed a close bond, he was an ex breeding buck who had been kept on his own in an outside hutch until the breeder didn't want him anymore. He took straight away to living indoors and has been my best friend ever since. The past few weeks though I've been feeling incredibly guilty - I'm going out more socially and I'm now self-employed and although work from home, will need to go out more. I'm having to do training which means nights away - my partner and family are trying to spend as much time with him as possible and make sure he is fed, etc but he is getting left for long periods. I've looked into trying to get him a companion but my local RSPCA (Derby) seem pretty clueless about bonding, etc and have said none of theirs are suitable - they didn't sound very keen when I explained the situation especially the fact that it is an upstairs flat. All other rescues are too far for me to access and ensure that bonding is ok before attemtping to bring a bun home.

Although it breaks my heart to even consider it, should I be looking at rehoming him? I'm crying just typing this ... I feel like a bad bunny owner because I know he is being neglected too much. He's getting bored and digging all the time despite my flat being full of cardboard boxes, tunnels, cat toys, etc to keep him entertained. He's nipped me twice now too - not actually bites but something to let me know he isn't happy. I know I'm being selfish wanting to keep my friend when he could be happier elsewhere - I'm concerned that giving up on him and giving him to someone else may cause his gut stasis again as he really is a sensitive little soul. I've had him three years or so now and although I know he is happier with me than he would be stuck in a hutch somewhere - would he be happier somewhere else? Am I right to deny him that happiness?

I'm also concerned that the neighbours are going to start complaing about him scratching the floor - they're nasty neighbours anyway very noisy (only been there eight months so im wondering if they are affecting him especially as they have a noisy dog). My landlord knows about Cookie, has met him and seen my set up several times and I know would be on my side but it is still a worry that is nagging at me. He has gone from infrequent digging to doing it a lot of the time over recent days - he seems to go through phases with it so I don't know if it is just another phase.

I honestly don't know what to do. I guess I know what I should do but it's so hard and I love the little fella so much ...

I'm sorry the rescue hasn't been very helpful :( I don't think you need to rehome him so please don't give up! You could start a topic on here asking for rescues in your area as quite a few come on here and some further afield will do bunny runs to get a rabbit to its new home. Other rescues won't have the same view as the RSPCA branch with regards to house bunnies. A lot of bunnies are happier in the house and personally don't see a problem with it; rabbits adapt really easily.

I think finding Cookie a friend would really help him. Also with the nipping, is he in any pain at all? Sometimes bunnies get grumpy and do things that are out of character if they are in pain.. maybe dental or perhaps he gets a sore tummy?

If you are in Derby have you looked at BARC? They are a fantastic rescue and experienced with bonds. I think they might actually bond for you? A lot of people on here have had a barc bun. They are in barnsley so not a million miles from derby and rehome nationally.

Cookie could be in pain but he isn't displaying any other behaviour to indicate that - he does have a sensitive tum so it's always possible but it seems to be more telling me off than anything else, I feel.

I never give up on any animal if I have the choice and parting with him really would be the last resort. I just have concerns about getting a rescue bunny without a 'bunny date' due to distance and/or bonding issues, he has the full run of the flat (well, doesn't really venture into the bathroom) and although I have a small temporary hutch I wouldn't want to leave a rabbit in there for any length of time. Getting him a companion would be the ideal though.

Thanks Hele - have sent them a message. I think their kennels are Rotheram which is a fair distance from Derby but definitely worth a try especially if they can help with the bonding.

Thanks Hele - have sent them a message. I think their kennels are Rotheram which is a fair distance from Derby but definitely worth a try especially if they can help with the bonding.

They have separate set ups for their kennels, Cattery and bunnies. The buns are in Barnsley, in Hoyland Common to be precise but that is probably even farther away than Rotherham!

Ah, ok.

I could probably manage one trip up there but it is a long way especially to have Cookie in his carrier which always stresses him out.

I don't know why there don't seem to be any local rabbit rescues to Derbyshire, unless they just don't advertise or are backyard rescues.

BARC at hoyland is minutes away from M1 junction 36, so very easy to get to. My Dandy and Beano are very nervous buns,(they were very wild) when I collected them I had to do 1 1/2 hour trip they were not happy in the carrier at first but very soon settled down to eat the hay I'd stuffed the carrier with :D

Although Cookie may not like travelling I feel it would benefit him long term :thumb: and if the rescue do the bond for you he'd be doing the first journey alone but then the return journey after bonding with his partner :love:

Please don't give him up. I'm sure we can all put our heads together and think of something to make Cookie happy and get him a lovely new friend!

Really hope you can get something sorted about getting him a friend. You obviously love him, it is nice to see all the support you are being offered, and all the replies you have received.

Just noticed this thread but I am off to bed now

Please hang on in there. as I am sure there is a perfect solution.:thumb:
Don't give up...........please....the voice of experience talking!!!

Sleep tight for now though. :thumb:

I know of a small rescue in Burton on Trent which is a lot closer to you. Maybe she could help? Let me know and I'll pass on details :wave:

I know of a small rescue in Burton on Trent which is a lot closer to you. Maybe she could help? Let me know and I'll pass on details :wave:

ooh, Burton on Trent is very close to me - please let her know my circumstances. I'll PM you my details

If you literally can't find any female bunnies in rescues, maybe you'll have no option other than to go elsewhere and spay/neuter the new bunny yourself (obviously by a vet lol). Please dont feel guilt tripped into giving him up - he'd still be much happier with you than anyone else!

Back