• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Syringing meds to a Belgian Hare...

nursecroft

Wise Old Thumper
IS IMPOSSIBLE!!!! :shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock:

Ruby was spayed yesterday and sent home with metacam and zantac... I have been covered in zantac several times, she won't accept any meds on food as shes just not food orientated and shes too damn clever! :roll: I managed to get the metacam down her by straddling behind her and being extra quick! But the zantac is more fluid and she hates it!! She wee'd this morning when I tried to give it as it stresses her out so much :cry: so as she is pooing really well and munching I've left it tonight, we're seeing the vet in the morning.

I'm so glad its over and shes recovering so well, I had a sleepless night last night worrying about her!

Oh no!

My rather large boy Henry was on meds yesterday and the evening before so I know how you feel!
He ended up with a mixture of zantac and fibreplex all over his face :oops:

Thank goodness she is recovering so well. I managed to feed Mottle (mini lop) meds in ella's kitchen organic baby food (gave Peaches some med free as well - they ADORED it). Syringing meds is rather :shock: Its amazing how much gets wasted!

Frosty and Snowflake would run away whenever they saw me after having meds for a few days. Resorted to hiding in their greens (luckily they fell for it).

Hope all goes well at the vets today.

Last edited:
Totally agree, has to be a two person job in our household, and even then there's still arms and legs everywhere! I was impressed when you said you did the nail clipping on your own as well, as I have to do my boy's nails when he's least expecting it as it can become quite a battle too!

Sick Rabbits

Hope this is the right place to post. I'm fairly new!!

Just looking for advise on sick rabbits after bunny boarding / see if anyone has experienced anything similar. I left my two rabbits into what seemed to be perfect boarding place for two days whilst away. I worried about my Netherlands Dwarf as she is very timid and doesn’t like much human interaction. I relaxed a little as my mini Holland lop is very good at looking after her. He a is very sociable, boisterous and happy Rabbit. However, after collecting them I sat in the back with them on the car journey home and notice the Netherlands Dwarf seemed healthy and Happy but my Holland lop was lying limp on his carrier. I reached in pet him ( he would normally try to break free and lick you and cuddle in) and he seemed terrified. I took him out immediately and checked his eyes nose etc and my hand was covered in drool/mucous. I went straight to my vet who said he had a temperature and GI statis. That he could have picked up a bug in boarding or been stressed about the move. They both stayed in my friends before and came back totally fine. He was on medication for a week and was off food. I was force feeding him with a lamb feeder on the vets instruction. I really don’t know what happened as my other rabbit was totally fine. I am worried about putting them in boarding again, aside from the fact the vets bills were really expensive for injections and medicine, I don’t want my rabbits to have to go through that stress every again .Any advise or similar stories?

for anyone who finds getting meds down their rabbits hard. try putting a tiny bit of origonal (not artifical sweetener) ribena in it and offering it for them to lick off syringe. most small animals really like ribena. other method when all else fails is to put in on their front leg in a sticky mess - unless very very ill majority of animals will try and groom it off- and so have to eat it to do so.

for anyone who finds getting meds down their rabbits hard. try putting a tiny bit of origonal (not artifical sweetener) ribena in it and offering it for them to lick off syringe. most small animals really like ribena. other method when all else fails is to put in on their front leg in a sticky mess - unless very very ill majority of animals will try and groom it off- and so have to eat it to do so.

agree with the ribena but it had to be the summer fruit oasis for Freddie :lol:

Been there, got the tshirt (splattered in Ribena) still doesn't always work :lol:

Back