• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Munching hay when we're around

Jesselle

Mama Doe
Hi

I've noticed Neville seems to tuck right into his hay when we're around, but sometimes when I wake up in the morning it doesn't look like he's been in his tray much at all (there are poops but not loads).

He could either be choosing to sleep when we're sleeping or just not feeling like munching. If the latter, could he be lonely?

Getting him a wife couldn't come soon enough...

I have two bonded unspayed outdoor (approx. 6 year old) girls (Penfold and Dangermouse) and Penfold does this to me when she's not well or just plain grumpy. She doesn't seem to touch any food if much at all, but when I go out to her, she always has a piece of hay in her mouth almost deliberately to stop me worrying about her!:roll:

When I say not well, she does it about once a year and I've now learned not to panic like I used to by rushing her to the vet, she's normally just in a grump because the outside environment has changed or because she's moulting (She's just had an 'episode' for about two weeks and started eating properly again on Monday)

I'd imagine he is sleeping when you're asleep as he'll get the most attention when you're awake which is when he probably eats the most. I know they're supposed to be most active at dusk/dawn but I've lost count of the times I've gone out to do the morning feed at dawn and have to wake them both up as they're sparko in the hutch and don't even notice I'm there opening the hutch door whilst talking to them!

A friend should help him but I do feel it's a bunny's way of saying 'look, I'm eating my hay like a good bun!' :D

Rabbit Residence rescue over in Royston have some Girls looking for Husbuns, worth a look.

Riggs

He's just been flying around the house after I got home (both oh and I were out this evening) and also after a large helping of hay!

TD - what lovely stories about your bunnies! :) made me smile. Perhaps he has switched his schedule around to mirror ours then... Bless him!

Riggs - thank you, I've seen a bunny there called Hibiscus that needs a husbun :)

Last edited:
Back