• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Please help. At wits end with loss of litter training. Don't know what to do.

runhardlivelong

Warren Scout
Hi everyone. I've had Ralph at least two months, got him from the rescue, bonded well with Lola, both neutered, no problems at all. And then suddenly started weeing everywhere. Not little sprays like huge puddles.
I'm certain it's Him.

So far I've tried reducing their space, I always clean up puddles with vinegar, and removing their tunnel etc.

It's still happening. He tends to wee mostly around the litter tray as well as in it.

I'm completely frazzled and don't understand why he was trained and isn't now.

My plan is to get a new box, put some litter in and put the pen around it so he has to stay in the box so he can have a few hours in it himself so he can get a better sense of ownership (maybe he feels like he doesn't have this). Also putting the box in a completely different area of the room and steam mopping and vinegar the area.

I used to have a different boy Walter who died, but had zero problems when Ralph first came so I don't get why now??

I love my bunnies but it's making me sad at the moment as I want to be a good mummy.

They eat very well, tons of hay, aren't bored, fresh water etc etc.

Please help!!!

I'm sure others on here who are more experienced can give you more in depth advice but I was wondering whether he'd been checked out by the vet recently? I wasn't sure whether urine infections could cause this?

A vet checkup wouldn't hurt, you're right something like a urine infection could effecting toileting.

How big is your tray? A larger tray, or if it's already big an extra tray may help, then mop up the puddles with kitchen roll and pop it in the tray. Returning a little dirty litter tray the tray after cleaning can also help.

Have you made any other changes eg new cleaning products, or hanging about with any new animals?

I'd give him more litter trays, put puppy pads down to save you having to clean up all the time. If you catch him getting ready to pee put him in a tray, is there certain places he goes? Perhaps pop the litter trays in his favourite places with plenty of hay in.

Thanks guys.

They had one of those big underbed storage box which was more than enough for them both. I've given them another now

I've also popped any wet towels back in the tray.

I've changed nothing.

Ralph had a vet check at the rescue, he also had another a week or so later with my own very rabbit savy vet.

If it doesn't improve I will get to vets. He is completely otherwise well, bouncy, feeding, drinking plenty etc etc m

All hints and tips very gratefully received. Will get some puppy pads xx

He's only been with you a couple of months, its still very early days, if they are newly bonded too they need a chance to settle.

Rabbit's are very sensitive to smell so it could be something like you've started visiting someone with a cat etc.

Increasing the number of trays tends to most successful, keep in mind you can decrease gradually later so feel free to go overboard :lol:

Still no improvement

Any other tips guys??

I thought I had hit a breakthrough when at the weekend I put the bunnies in my carpeted bedroom!!

It was a chance but I noticed Ralph had not weed on any soft furnishings.

He had two small accidents in 36 hours which I thought was good!! Whilst they were upstairs I vinegar'd the floor, and steam mopped it.

I was hopeful but since I've brought them back downstairs he has been exactly the same.

They have three trays spread out.

There seems to be no pattern to the weeing, it's wherever he fancies.

I just don't know to do!!!!

I'm going to ring the vets and ask for some advice! But I just don't know what to do!

It's sad because I'm at the end of my tether and I don't know what else to try!!

Sometimes if you confine them with a litter tray they learn (relearn) to use that one, so after a week or two you could then let them out in the hopes he will return to his litter tray. Good luck.

Sometimes if you confine them with a litter tray they learn (relearn) to use that one, so after a week or two you could then let them out in the hopes he will return to his litter tray. Good luck.

That's funny. I'm not patient enough to have them in my room for a few weeks!! Ralph jumps onto my bed and my desk! He woke me up at 4 am eating bubble wrap that he had got from who knows where!!

All I could hear was pop pop pop...

You could talk to your vet about having a urine sample checked. You pop an empty tray down and fingers crossed catch one that way :)

How much space do they have downstairs? A puppy pen is a good way to contain buns to a smaller area.

You could talk to your vet about having a urine sample checked. You pop an empty tray down and fingers crossed catch one that way :)

How much space do they have downstairs? A puppy pen is a good way to contain buns to a smaller area.

Thanks Tamsin, I've put the puppy pen back up because at least in confines his weeing to a smaller area.

I'm going to the vets tonight, so fed up.

I'm a doctor and have worked with babies, who as you can imagine can be equally as fustrating to work with. As he wees all over the floor, I will just take some cotton balls, put them in the urine, and then put them in a 10ml syringe and squeeze it out!!

I'm also having some problems with this. My bunny Jim is not very good at using his litter tray when he's out and about, although my other one, Dot, is fine. (Both have been neutered.) Sometimes Jim goes back into his pen and sits in his tray but sometimes he just goes wherever he feels like (usually on my sofas, which stain easily and don't have removable cushions…). There have been three accidents in as many days and I'm getting frustrated as my sofas are getting ruined - I don't mind the occasional accident and I've put some throws over the sofas to deal with the worst of it, but I feel like I'm getting reluctant to let them out in case he does it again and I really don't want to feel like that!! Both Jim and Dot have recently been treated for suspected UTIs as they were drinking a lot but they seem to be over it now and drinking normal amounts.

I usually mop up with paper towels - should I put them back in their litter tray so Jim learns where he should be going? He doesn't have a favourite place to go, just anywhere on my sofas, so I'm not sure whether putting another litter tray down would work. I do have a big living room so maybe he just can't be bothered to go back to his pen...

Sofas are tricky spots for a lot of other wise well behaved bunnies. I think probably because we spend a lot of time sat on them they have a lot of our scent and bunnies like to add theirs. I would try putting his tray (or a second tray) on the sofa whilst he's out. Hopefully that will allow him to mark without causing damage. If that works, you can then gradually work on moving the tray somewhere more appropriate eg next to the sofa.

Back